HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV74935
Name:7 Smith Street, Dartmouth

Summary

Shop and house, late 18th or early 19th century, with a 17th century side wall. Three storeys. two-window front, modernised in the late 19th century with a good timber shop front.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 877 512
Map Sheet:SX85SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartmouth
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishST.SAVIOURS

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 387331

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SHOP (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of National Heritage, 1994, Dartmouth, 208 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV157498.

Shop and house, part of the former house now used as offices. The eastern side wall is ancient (17th century or earlier) but main building rebuilt in the late 18th/early 19th century with some later modernisation. Mixed construction; stone rubble side walls and plastered timber-framed front and back walls; stone rubble stacks in left side wall with rendered brick chimneyshafts; slate roof. Plan: The eastern side wall suggests the former existence of a 17th century front block, gallery and rear block plan merchant's house, rebuilt in the early 19th century, when the whole building was raised in height and a staircase built in the former courtyard, connected to the front by a right-hand side passage. Exterior: 3 storeys. 2-window front modernised in the late 19th century with a good new timber shop front; single-light plate glass windows on low stallboards of glazed brick, each side of recessed doorway containing bottom-panelled glazed door. Passage doorway to right under overlight with central glazing bar. Full width fascia with moulded cornice and cast iron crest between large brackets featuring stooks of wheat (for a bakery presumably). Plaster above lightly blocked out as ashlar with rusticated quoins each end and 2-window front of late 19th century horned 4-pane sashes. Plain eaves to hipped roof. Left (east) end is roughcast but clearly shows sections of the old side wall which corbels out at the front to take jetties. The former courtyard gap is filled with slate-hung timber-framing and contains, amongst other sashes with glazing bars, a tall 24-pane sash. Interior: Side passage with stone flagged floor through front block to a small courtyard/light well with stair block to right containing a stick baluster stair. Other late 18th and 19th century joinery detail and other features.


Ordnance Survey, 2013, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV350786.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV157498List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 1994. Dartmouth. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 208.
SDV350786Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #102157 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 16 2013 1:33PM