HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV74945
Name:17 Victoria Road, Dartmouth

Summary

Shop with house above, circa 1830. Three storeys, two-window front, with late 19th or early 20th century timber shop front, original tall sash windows with timber pedimented heads to first floor, and later casements with original timber segmental pedimented heads to second floor.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 876 513
Map Sheet:SX85SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartmouth
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishST.SAVIOURS

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 387384

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SHOP (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of National Heritage, 1994, Dartmouth, 258 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV157498.

Shop with house above, circa 1830. Stone rubble with front of roughcast timber-framing; disused stacks with no chimneyshafts visible; hipped slate roof. Double-depth plan. Exterior: 3 storeys; 2-window range. Ground-floor shop with simple late 19th/early 20th century timber shop front; windows with vertical glazing bars flank recessed doorway containing a part-glazed door; each end plain pilasters with moulded caps to fascia. Roughcast 2-window front above; tall original 12-pane sashes with timber pedimented heads to the first floor, and 20th century casements without glazing bars under original timber segmental pediment heads to second floor. Low parapet has flat coping with continuous fluting along its narrow front edge. Parallel roof gable-ended to right. Interior not inspected. The house forms part of an important group of early 19th century buildings overlooking the Market Square, which was developed in the 1820s on land reclaimed from the old mill pool. New Road (now Victoria Road) was built in 1825 to enable, for the first time, horse-drawn carriages in and out of the town.


Ordnance Survey, 2009, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV341569.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV157498List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 1994. Dartmouth. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 258.
SDV341569Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2009. MasterMap. MasterMap. Digital. [Mapped feature: #102167 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 17 2013 10:21AM