HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV74947
Name:25 and 27 Victoria Road, Dartmouth

Summary

25 and 27 Victoria Road in Dartmouth built as a pair of houses in the 19th century with shops inserted later and some 20th century modernisation

Location

Grid Reference:SX 876 513
Map Sheet:SX85SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDartmouth
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishST.SAVIOURS

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 387386

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Department of National Heritage, 1994, Dartmouth, 260 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV157498.

Pair of houses with shops. Mid 19th century, with shops inserted in the late 19th century, some 20th century modernisation. Stone rubble side walls with plastered timber-framed front; disused end stacks, only one chimneyshaft, rendered with some old pots; slate roof. Plan: Double-depth, each built as a mirror plan of the other. Exterior: 3 storeys with attics; 3-window front, lightly blocked out as ashlar. Number 25 has a late 19th/early 20th century timber shop front with recessed central doorway containing a 20th century door. The shop front of Number 27 was rebuilt in the late 20th century, timber mullioned-and-transomed 4-light window with glazing bars. 3-window front above. First-floor 12-pane sashes, except the right-hand one which is altered to a 4/6-pane sash, and second-floor 3/6-pane sashes. Low parapet with rilled coping. Parallel roof. The right-hand shop (Number 27) has been taken over by the adjacent Victoria Hotel. Interiors not inspected. Included for group value, this pair of houses is part of a good group of houses and shops which were built on the reclaimed land of the old mill pool in the second quarter of the 19th century. New Road (now Victoria Road) was built in 1825 to enable, for the first time, horse-drawn carriages in and out of the town.


Ordnance Survey, 2009, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV341569.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV157498List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 1994. Dartmouth. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 260.
SDV341569Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2009. MasterMap. MasterMap. Digital. [Mapped feature: #102169 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 17 2013 10:43AM