HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV751
Name:St. George's Parish Church, George Nympton

Summary

Parish church of st. George. Brick tower rebuilt 1673 after fire which razed the 13th. Century structure to the ground. Bricks for it manufactured in nearby field. Small four-octave, single manual pipe organ of queen anne period. Carved oak bench ends discovered under the wooden floor during restoration work in 1880 have been re-erected. Linenfold panelling on wall opposite pulpit (exoress and echo).

Location

Grid Reference:SS 700 229
Map Sheet:SS72SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGeorge Nympton
DistrictNorth Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishGEORGE NYMPTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Church of England HER: 5311
  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SS72SW/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PARISH CHURCH (Early Medieval to XVII - 1066 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Express & Echo, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV23569.

Parish church of st. George. Brick tower rebuilt 1673 after fire which razed the 13th. Century structure to the ground. Bricks for it manufactured in nearby field. Small four-octave, single manual pipe organ of queen anne period. Carved oak bench ends discovered under the wooden floor during restoration work in 1880 have been re-erected. Linenfold panelling on wall opposite pulpit (exoress and echo).


Department of Environment, Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV325778.

Parish church. C15, tower built 1673, restoration and partial rebuilding of 1882 by e. H. Harbottle. Stone rubble nave and aisle, snecked stone chancel and porch, flemish bond brick tower; slate roof. Nave, chancel, three bay north arcade; west tower, south porch; ne vestry. The tower was built by george harris, it is clear from the documentation what it replaced although late c16 bells existed according to the church guide. The 1882 restoration involved rebuilding the east and south walls of the chancel, replacing the porch, opening out the tower arch, tracery replacement and restoration of the nave bench ends. Harbottle's restoration was in the perpendicular style to match the existing medieval fabric. See doe list for full details (doe).


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV61727.

Des=express and echo/21-8-1976.


Untitled Source (Migrated Record). SDV61728.

Doe/hhr:george nympton/(18/10/1988)60.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, 1309366 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

Parish church. C15, tower built 1673, restoration and partial rebuilding of 1882 by E.H. Harbottle. Stone rubble nave and aisle, snecked stone chancel and porch, Flemish bond brick tower; slate roof. Plan: Nave, chancel, 3-bay north arcade; west tower, south porch; north-east vestry. The tower was built by George Harris, it is not clear from the documentation what it replaced although late C16 bells existed (church guide). The 1882 restoration involved rebuilding the east and south walls of the chancel, replacing the nave and chancel roofs, rebuilding the porch, opening out the tower arch, tracery replacement and restoration of the nave bench ends. Harbottle's restoration was in the Perpendicular style to match the existing medieval fabric. Exterior: Chancel with diagonal buttresses, 1882 3-light Perpendicular traceried east window and 2-light south window. The nave (south side) has 2 Perpendicular 3-light traceried windows, much repaired, the western window with carved medieval label stops including one which appears to show a pair of wrestlers. The north aisle has a 3- light Perpendicular traceried east window and 2 square-headed, probably early C16 north windows with traceried lights. The C19 gabled vestry has a 2-light window with a segmental arched light on the west side and a segmental arched stone doorframe. The west tower is extremely interesting for its date: wholly Gothic in form with a stone plinth, diagonal buttresses with set-offs and battlements, all in hand-made bricks which were made in the parish by James Moore who was paid £22 5s 4d. Round- headed belfry openings have pierced boards in the heads below louvres; there is a rectangular opening on the south side at bellringer's stage and, instead of a west door, a cusped lancet:- this is probably a C19 remodelling of a plainer opening. 1882 snecked stone gabled porch with a trefoil-headed niche in the gable and a moulded, rounded outer doorframe. The interior of the porch has an arched brace roof and an unusual inner doorframe with a deeply-moulded triangular head, possibly C13 in date. The inner door is probably C16 with a massive lock box and a latch. Interior: Plastered walls. Asymmetrical C19 chancel arch at the junction of the nave and chancel roofs with a trumpeting angel painted on the arch which is carried on paired stone corbels. C19 ceiled wagons to the nave and chance, C15 or C16 ceiled wagon to the north aisle. 3 bay Beerstone arcade with steep moulded arches, piers with corner shafts and boldly-carved foliage caps; plain chamfered tower arch with a rounded head and runout stops. The chancel has early C20 dado panelling; C19 commandment boards in round-headed frames; C19 tiling incorporating the symbols of the evangelists and a C19 trefoil- headed piscina with a hood mould and finial. Pulpit, lectern, reading desk and chancel seats all memorials of 1880, the chancel seats with poppyheads the pulpit an open traceried timber drum on a stone plinth. The font is a probably C15 octangonal bowl, the stem decorated with blind tracery with an C18 ogival timber font cover. The nave benches are C19, carefully incorporating medieval fragments found during the 1882 restoration. Monuments 3 wall monuments to members of the Karslake family: 2 matching early C19 white marble monuments are signed Kendall; the third is a fine monument to William Karslake, died 1769 in coloured and white Italian marble with a weeping cherub leaning on a sarcophagus. There are other late C18 and early C19 monuments.
Date first listed: 20th February 1967.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV23569Migrated Record: Express & Echo.
SDV325778Migrated Record: Department of Environment.
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. 1309366.
SDV61727Migrated Record:
SDV61728Migrated Record:

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Dec 14 2017 10:14AM