HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV75293
Name:The Pavilion, Sandy Lane, Dawlish

Summary

Small 1930s sports pavilion built in the Moderne style. Concrete with flat roofs and metal framed windows.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 967 774
Map Sheet:SX97NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDawlish
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishDAWLISH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PAVILION (XX - 1901 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

English Heritage, 2009, List of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV343181.

Small sports pavilion opened in 1935. Constructed by the Astolant Company of Guildford, Surrey for Dawlish District Council. The building is constructed of concrete with flat roofs and metal framed windows, the smaller windows have been replaced with UPVC examples. The pavilion is a striking example of a small 1930s pavilion in the Moderne style. It is symmetrical, employing streamlined geometric shapes, with a central, semi-cylindrical, lobby, on a shallow but wide semi-circular plinth, with corresponding overhanging, circular eaves. The lobby is lit by tall, curved, metal-framed windows flanking, part-glazed timber double-doors. The original doors appear to survive, partially boarded. Set back to either side is a lower, rectilinear, range of changing rooms and facilities, again with deeply projecting flat eaves. The changing rooms step back twice, on each side of the lobby, and have small, symmetrical windows. There are a series of symmetrical doors and windows to the side and rear, providing access to small changing chalets. The interior is very simple, with painted concrete walls and concrete floors. The changing rooms retain their original slatted hardwood benches, although the shower cubicles have been superficially modernised.
History: the Pavilion was opened in 1935 by Lord Mildmay, having been constructed for Dawlish District Council as part of a scheme to provide public recreation facilities on a portion of land belonging the the former Pidgely estate. The opening speech by Mr. Washington, chairman of Dawlish UDC recorded that considerable effort had been employed to secure the recreation ground and associated open amenity land for public enjoyment. Much of the remainder of the estate was developed as building land. Despite the much later provision of a modern sports centre nearby, The Pavilion has remained in used by local teams.
Reasons for Designation: It is a small sports pavilion that demonstrates good quality architectural design within the associated sports grounds, it is a good example of the application of modernism to the design of recreation buildings on a small scale and it survives well and remains readable despite some modernisation.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV343181List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2009. List of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest. Historic Houses Register. Unknown.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Apr 24 2009 11:53AM