HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV75475
Name:Bampfylde House, Black Torrington

Summary

Early 19th century house, formerly the rectory.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 464 056
Map Sheet:SS40NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBlack Torrington
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBLACK TORRINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 91569

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

'Rectory' marked.


Hoskins, W. G., 1973, Black Torrington Rectory (Correspondence). SDV351306.

A Building Preservation Order has been placed on the Rectory, and it has been Listed at Grade II.


Department of Environment, 1989, Black Torrington, 12, LBS number 91569 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336021.

Bampfylde House.
House formerly the rectory. Early 19th century extended in mid - later 19th century. Rendered walls. Hipped slate roof gabled at right end of wing. 4 brick stacks - 2 to the front range and wing and 2 rendered stacks to the rear wings.
Plan: the principle range is double deptn, 2 rooms wide with a central stairhall. To either side at rear is a service wing. Projecting from the right end is a Victorian addition.
Exterior: 2 storeys with attic. Original symmetrical 3-window front to left with 16:12:16 pane sashes on 1st floor, a sash with its glazing bars removed below to the left and a large Victorian bay window to the right. Original trellis porch at centre with round arched doorway behind which has panelled reveals and 6-panel door (now partly glazed). Tall Victorian wing projects to right with large 2-storey bay window. Its right gable-end is hung with fishscale tiles. At rear are wings to left and right and at centre a small hipped roof over original 16-pane stair window.
Single storey extension in front of each wing with connecting wall forming a rear
courtyard.
Interior: inaccessible at time of survey but likely to retain its early 19th century joinery.


Child, P., 1998, Black Torrington Primary School (Correspondence). SDV351307.

Hoskins' comment on the listing of the Rectory is puzzling, since it was not listed until 1982. Possibly the Building Preservation Order to which he refers was not then sustained by the Department of the Environment.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336021List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. Black Torrington. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 12, LBS number 91569.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV351306Correspondence: Hoskins, W. G.. 1973. Black Torrington Rectory. Letter regarding Black Torrington Rectory. Quarto Single Sheet + Digital.
SDV351307Correspondence: Child, P.. 1998. Black Torrington Primary School. Letter from Historic Environment Service. A4 Single Sheet + Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 29 2013 3:45PM