HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV75479
Name:East Graddon Farmhouse, Black Torrington


Farmhouse of circa 1500 date, with probable 16th- and 17th century alterations. A well-preserved late medieval farmhouse in an area where not many survive, with an unusual plan form.


Grid Reference:SS 452 033
Map Sheet:SS40SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBlack Torrington
Ecclesiastical ParishBLACK TORRINGTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 91561

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XIV to XVII - 1301 AD to 1700 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, 1976 - 1984, Development Control Consultations (Un-published). SDV346248.

Visited 31 May 1977 by Simon Timms. Proposal for conversion of barn to dwelling. Barn is attached to south end and is used for storing hay. Internal oak beam to be kept. Other details: Photos.

Department of Environment, 1989, Black Torrington, 6 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV336021.

East Graddon Farmhouse.
Circa 1500 with probably mid - late 16th century addition and early 17th century alterations, modernised in late 20th century. Rendered cob walls at the front, exposed rubble at rear. Gable-ended thatch roof with hipped asbestos slate roof to former snippon. Rendered rubble axial stack with dripmoulds, raised in brick, brick gable-end stack to wing and 20th century rendered stack at rear of former snippon.
Plan: 3-room-and-through-passage plan formerly-with shippon at lower right end -its conversion in late 20th century prevents positive identification of the house as a true Longhouse. Originally an open hall house with central hearth, the lower end was also open to the roof but it is uncertain whether the inner room was since its roof timbers have been replaced. A thick wall dividing the hall from inner room on ground floor does not continue above. An unusual aspect of the plan is the early wing added at the front of the higher end of the hall - it seems that it was 2 storeys from the start since it has an early doorway on the 1st floor although this raises questions on the flooring over of the hall into which the doorway opens. It is possible that the doorway was for ladder access into a chamber from the still open hall as its ceiling beam do not suggest a particularly early flooring over. Tnis and the insertion of the hall stack against the passage are more likely to have occured in the early 17th century. The inner room remained unheated and the ground floor room of the wing was probably used as a parlour with a fireplace in its end wall. The late 20th century modernisation incorporated the conversion of-the shippon but otherwise
Little alteration to the plan.
Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 2-window front with wing projecting to left of centre and converted snippon at right-hand end which has 3 late 20th century dormer windows. Otherwise early - mid 20th century 1 and 2-light casements with 2 tall casements on inner face of wing. Twentieth century part-glazed door to right of centre with thatch doorhood. To the left of the wing is another 2-light casement on the ground floor. Rear elevation has early 20th century lean-to left of centre.
Interior: hall and passage have chamfered cross beams with straight-cut stops. Hall fireplace has had the soffit of its lintel cut into, retains its cloam oven. The front wing has chamfered and straight-cut stop ceiling beams and similar lintel to smaller fireplace also with a cloam oven. Inner room has similar ceiling beams. on 1st floor is low doorway into wing with original 4-centred arch chamfered doorframe.
Roof: over the wing are 2 pairs of probably raised crucks, one of which rests on a wall-post, with threaded purlins. Where the wing joins the main range there is a tie beam with stud partition above. No access to roof space over wing. Over the nall and passage are 2 nore cruck trusses, probably also raised crucks with threaded purlins, diagonal ridge and cranked collars halved onto the principals with dovetail joints. All are heavily smoke-blackened. Over the higher end the roof structure has been replaced probably in the 18th century.
This is a well-preserved late medieval farmhouse in an area where not many survive, with an unusual plan form. Other details: LBS number 91561.

Google, 2011, Google Streetview (Website). SDV346146.

Thatching of southern end underway.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336021List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1989. Black Torrington. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 6.
SDV346146Website: Google. 2011. Google Streetview. maps.google.co.uk/. Digital.
SDV346248Un-published: Unknown. 1976 - 1984. Development Control Consultations. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. A4 Unbound.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jan 24 2011 2:10PM