HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV75556
Name:16 and 17 Market Place, Bideford

Summary

Grocer's shop, now an office, built in 1895. Three storeys with a broad front of four bays, with original display windows remaining at the southern end.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 453 265
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 375873

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SHOP (XIX - 1895 AD to 1895 AD (Between))

Full description

1893-1895, Bideford Weekly Gazette (Unknown). SDV350093.


1895, Wilson's Bideford Directory, 23 (Unknown). SDV350094.


Department of National Heritage, 19/04/1993, Bideford, 162-3 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV338459.

Shown on the Ordnance Survey map as Numbers 15 and 16. Grocer's shop, now office; accommodation above at Number 17. Built in 1895 by R.T. Hookway of Bideford. Rendered solid front; slate roof. Red-brick chimney on ridge, off-centre to right; another on left rear wing (visible from the car park). Italian Renaissance style. Three storeys. Broad front of four-window range. Four-bay design with pilasters of different styles supporting entablatures above each storey. First and third bays from left are narrow, second and fourth bays are wide. Ground storey has panelled Doric pilasters with a diamond-shaped panel in the centre. Above each pilaster, superimposed on the architrave and frieze, is a foliated bracket resembling a capital, the cornice breaking forward over it. Original display windows remain in the fourth bay from the left: three round-arched openings with traceried spandrels, the outer openings glazed, the centre one leading to recessed, half-glazed double-doors with solid moulded panels at the bottom. Ceiling over the recess in front of the doors panelled. Head of a matching window survives in the left-hand bay. Third bay from left contains a pair of recessed doorways (door to right four-panelled); panelled pilaster between them. Second storey has panelled pilasters with foliated capitals, the shafts with circular panels in the middle; entablature with panelled frieze breaking forward over the pilasters and having a diamond-shaped panel above each window. The wider bays contain bay windows having rounded corners and entablatures with panelled friezes; narrower left-hand bay contains a three-light window, and the third bay from left a pair of windows with one light each. All four windows have sashes with horns, the middle lights of the left-hand window and the two bay windows with margin-panes. Third storey has fluted Doric pilasters rising directly to a dentilled cornice. Wider bays contain three-light windows with shaped flat surrounds. Third bay from right contains a pair of segmental-headed windows with moulded architraves, buttresses at the foot. All three windows have sashes with horns, the upper sashes nine-paned, or three-paned in the sidelights; the left-hand window, with flat shaped surround, is now blind. Front is finished with a panelled parapet, broken above the pilasters by panelled pedestals carrying urns. Rear wall (clearly visible from Bridge Street car park) has two rear wings, that to left (north) of exposed rubble masonry, that to right rendered; between them a lower, flat-roofed range. Interior not inspected. Included for group value.


Timms, S. C., 1977-1981, Bideford Development Control Consultations (Un-published). SDV346164.

Visited 14th June 1977. Proposed conversion of existing store at 14-16, Grenville Street to a showroom and store.
1982 proposal for change of use and alterations to the 1st and 2nd floors of number 17. Photos.


Torridge District Council, 2003, Bideford Townscape Heritage Initiative Stage 2 Bid, 21 (Un-published). SDV345899.

15 and 16, Market Place. Prominently located at the junction of Grenville Street with the Market Place. The three-storeyed front consists of a four-window range with pilasters of various styles supporting entablatures above each storey. The rear wall, clearly seen from car parks on east side, has two rear wings, that to the north of exposed rubble masonry, that to right rendered. Between them is a lower, flat-roofed range. Ground floors currently in retail use. Upper floors part residential, part empty. No internal inspection made. Photos.


Rushton, N., 2006, River Torridge Pipeline, Bideford, Devon: Rapid Archaeological Appraisal, 7 (Report - Interim). SDV342463.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV338459List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 19/04/1993. Bideford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 162-3.
SDV342463Report - Interim: Rushton, N.. 2006. River Torridge Pipeline, Bideford, Devon: Rapid Archaeological Appraisal. Wessex Archaeology Report. 62220.01. A4 Stapled. 7.
SDV345899Un-published: Torridge District Council. 2003. Bideford Townscape Heritage Initiative Stage 2 Bid. Torridge District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 21.
SDV346164Un-published: Timms, S. C.. 1977-1981. Bideford Development Control Consultations. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. A4 Unbound.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #102644 ]
SDV350093Unknown: 1893-1895. Bideford Weekly Gazette.
SDV350094Unknown: 1895. Wilson's Bideford Directory. 23.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4517 - Archaeological Appraisal of River Torridge Pipeline Routes, Bideford, Devon

Date Last Edited:Oct 17 2012 1:09PM