HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV75561
Name:The New Inn Hotel, Market Place, Bideford


Hotel, early 19th century, altered mid 19th century with late 19th century alterations at rear. Possibly incorporates parts of a 17th/18th century building.


Grid Reference:SS 453 264
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 375876

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOTEL (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Wood, J., 1842, Plan of the Town of Bideford (Cartographic). SDV342513.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Hotel' marked.

Department of National Heritage, 19/04/1993, Bideford, 167 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV338459.

Hotel. Early 19th century, altered mid 19th century; late 19th century alterations at rear. Possibly incorporates parts of a 17th/18th century building. Solid rendered walls. Hipped slate roof. Old brick chimney on ridge; others at rear. Plan of two or three rooms deep and three rooms wide with off-centre entrance-passage leading to staircase behind the middle room. Three storeys with two lower storeys at rear, where the ground falls away; four-window range. Doorway between the two left-hand ground-storey windows. The two upper-storey windows to right are set slightly apart, as if this side of the building was a later addition. Six-panelled front door with deep porch having columns with foliated capitals. Above the porch and extending across the whole building at first-floor level, is a balcony with patterned iron railing (right-hand end missing). Windows have moulded architraves and mostly barred sashes; eight over eight panes in ground storey, six over six panes in second storey, three over six panes in third storey. The two left-hand second-storey windows differ in having French windows with four panes per light. Between the two windows above is an inserted two-light wood casement with three-panes per light. Sill-band in second storey, partly concealed by later balcony. Modillioned eaves cornice. Left side-wall to Bridge Street has windows with six-paned sashes and moulded architraves, some of the sashes paired within a single architrave. The rear part is a storey lower with a 17th/18th century-style modillioned eaves-cornice. The rear elevation has been considerably remodelled in late 19th century, including a gabled bay window with exposed timber-framing (clearly visible from the other side of the river).
Interior: ground storey has been considerably altered in late 20th century, but original wooden open-well stair survives with thin square balusters and shaped step-ends. Upper storeys not inspected.

Timms, S. C., 1977-1981, Bideford Development Control Consultations, 23/9; Photo 97/15 (Un-published). SDV346164.

1981 proposal for conversion to residential. Photo

Child, P., 2002, Proposed Conversion to Flats: The Old Coach Inn, Pannier Market, Bideford (Correspondence). SDV344274.

The Old Coach Inn clearly served as the principal inn for those who came to Bideford Market. It is a building of various periods. The oldest section appears to be that parallel to Bridge Street, as the roof structure there indicates a late 17th century date, which would match the style of (heavily restored) panelling in the existing dining room. The fenstration on the Pannier Market and Bridge Street sides is probably early 19th century, contemporary with the entrance porch and balcony. The rear elevation is later in style - probably dating to the late 19th century and 1930s, when the ballroom extension was added to the west side. Internally the building has been much modernised. The principal period feature which survives is the central staircase, probably of early 19th century date.

Torridge District Council, 2003, Bideford Townscape Heritage Initiative Stage 2 Bid, 10 (Un-published). SDV345899.

Quality ironwork on the first floor balcony.

Rushton, N., 2006, River Torridge Pipeline, Bideford, Devon: Rapid Archaeological Appraisal, 7 (Report - Interim). SDV342463.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338459List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 19/04/1993. Bideford. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound. 167.
SDV342463Report - Interim: Rushton, N.. 2006. River Torridge Pipeline, Bideford, Devon: Rapid Archaeological Appraisal. Wessex Archaeology Report. 62220.01. A4 Stapled. 7.
SDV342513Cartographic: Wood, J.. 1842. Plan of the Town of Bideford. Photocopy + Digital.
SDV344274Correspondence: Child, P.. 2002. Proposed Conversion to Flats: The Old Coach Inn, Pannier Market, Bideford. Letter to Local Planning Authority. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV345899Un-published: Torridge District Council. 2003. Bideford Townscape Heritage Initiative Stage 2 Bid. Torridge District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 10.
SDV346164Un-published: Timms, S. C.. 1977-1981. Bideford Development Control Consultations. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. A4 Unbound. 23/9; Photo 97/15.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #102649 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4517 - Archaeological Appraisal of River Torridge Pipeline Routes, Bideford, Devon

Date Last Edited:Apr 7 2015 10:59AM