HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV75619
Name:The Meadows Pleasure Ground, Tavistock

Summary

The Meadows Pleasure Ground, between the canal and river, was created in the late 19th or early 20th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 477 739
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • RECREATION GROUND (XIX to XX - 1801 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

Area shown as an open space with a path along the river, accessed from Abbey Walk at the north end and an entrance adjacent to West Bridge at the south end.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

The Pleasure Ground is not marked, although the area is shown as open ground with seats by the river.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'The Meadows Pleasure Gound' marked, between the River Tavy and the Tavistock Canal.


Devon County Council, 1975, Tavistock Town Walk, 91 (Article in Monograph). SDV352474.


The Tavistock and District Local History Society, 1994, About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks, 17-18, 47 (Monograph). SDV354806.

The Meadows was owned by the Dukes of Bedford and used mostly for pasture until this function was combined with that of a park in 1898 to which the public had access. It came into public ownership in 1912


West Devon Borough Council, 2009, Tavistock Conservation Area Management Plan, 12, 35 (Report - non-specific). SDV351411.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.


Waterhouse, R., 2017, The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology, 319 (Monograph). SDV361789.

From Tavistock Wharf (MDV43882) to Fitzford, the course of the Tavistock Canal remains straight, running on a slight terrace, embanked on its south side where it adjoins The Meadows public park.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #102699 ]
SDV351411Report - non-specific: West Devon Borough Council. 2009. Tavistock Conservation Area Management Plan. West Devon Borough Council Report. a4 Stapled + Digital. 12, 35.
SDV352474Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Tavistock Town Walk. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 91.
SDV354806Monograph: The Tavistock and District Local History Society. 1994. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. About Tavistock: An Historical Introduction and Six Town Walks. A5 Paperback. 17-18, 47.
SDV361789Monograph: Waterhouse, R.. 2017. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. The Tavistock Canal. Its History and Archaeology. Paperback Volume. 319.

Associated Monuments

MDV123098Related to: Fitzford Bridge, Tavistock (Monument)
MDV75618Related to: Lady Howard's Oak, Tavistock (Monument)
MDV4067Related to: Tavistock Canal, Northern Section (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 23 2018 11:49AM