HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV7565
Name:Churchyard Cross, St Andrew's Church

Summary

A free-standing stone cross, probably in its original position, which may date from the 15th century. The cross has an octagonal stepped base of two tiers supporting a plinth, a socket stone, shaft and 19th century calvary.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 778 586
Map Sheet:SX75NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHarberton
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHARBERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX75NE/1/5
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 101314
  • Old SAM Ref: 33742

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CROSS (Late Medieval - 1401 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Unknown, Harberton Churchyard Cross (Ground Photograph). SDV344883.

Photograph of Harberton Churchyard Cross


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Stone Cross (Remains of) shown.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'Stone Cross' shown.


Masson Phillips, E. N., 1937, The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I, 339 (Article in Serial). SDV240502.

Cross in the churchyard, type D. A pedestal of two octagonal steps, with projecting top edges, supports a square socket stone with a chamfered plinth and with the sides elaborately decorated with carved quatrefoils. The shaft is square and tapers slightly upwards. Its corners are moulded for the whole length of the shaft. The upper portion of the shaft is modern and bears an elaborate and very fine modern lantern head. The ancient portions of this cross are of brownish yellow sandstone, with the exception of the pedestal, which is constructed of slate stones. Other details: Plate 41; figure 21.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1951 - 1979, SX75NE2 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV344882.

Site visit 28th August 1951. Socket stone is 0.9 metres square and 0.7 metres high. Length of original cros shaft is 1.5 metres. Overall height is approximately 4.5 metres.
Site visit 6th December 1961. Cross and socket stone stand on an octagonal base. Other details: Photograph.


Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 2000, Medieval Churchyard Cross, 6 Metres South-east of the Porch of St Andrew's Church (Schedule Document). SDV344880.

This monument includes a free-standing stone cross situated in the churchyard of St Andrew's Church, 6 metres south-east of the south porch. It is probably in its original position and may date from the 15th century. The cross, which is Listed Grade II, survives with an octagonal stepped base of two tiers, constructed of dressed slate rubble, supporting a plinth, a socket stone, shaft and 19th century calvary. Each tier of the base overhangs and is plain chamfered on its underside. The bottom tier, which is partly buried in turf, is 1.73 metres across its flat sides and at least 0.33 metres high. The top tier is 0.75 metres across and 0.41 metres high. On top, a carved stone plinth of four pieces, two of which are replacements, measures 0.13 metres high by 0.9 metres square. This supports an intricately carved socket stone, 0.74 metres square and 0.52 metres high, carved to imitate an octagon with square columns at the corners. The shaft, which is socketed and leaded into the socket stone, tapers from 0.3 metres to 0.24 metres square at its surviving height of 1.54 metres, above which is a lavishly carved calvary in decorated style, probably of the late 19th century. This calvary is about 1.45 metres high and 0.5 metres square and is topped with a crocketed spire. It depicts the Adoration, the Crucifixion and two Apostles with long flowing beards. A 3 to 5 centimetres lean to the north-east was corrected when the calvary was added. The stone used for all the carved elements, including the 19th century additions, is a rusty yellow volcanic lava of unknown source. The original cross head was probably removed during the Reformation of the 16th century, by religious iconoclasts. The medieval churchyard cross is fairly complete, although its head is later, the original having been removed during the Reformation, and replaced in the late 19th century by a calvary, a rare feature in England. The particularly finely carved medieval base and shaft are very unusual in an area where plain granite ones are common.


Watson, A., 2007-2017?, Devon Crosses, 196, (Vol 2), sketch (Un-published). SDV360833.

Harberton Churchyard SX778587
A cross stands in the churchyard, south of the church. A pedestal of two octagonal steps, with projecting top edges, supports a square socket stone with a chamfered top edge, the sides elaborately decorated and carved with quatrefoils etc. The shaft is square and tapers slightly upwards. Its corners are moulded for the whole length of the shaft. The upper portion of the shaft is modern and bears an elaborate and very fine modern lantern head. The ancient portions of the cross are of brownish yellow sandstone, with the exception of the pedestal, which is constructed of slate stones.
Cross height 3.28 metres, span 0.43 metres. Base 0.27 by 0.27 metres.
Socket stone 0.71 by 0.71 metres by 0.63 metres.
Pedestal top 1.52 metres by 0.43 metres high, bottom 2.54 metres by 0.22 metres high.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Churchyard cross south of Church of St Andrew. Circa 15th century with late 19th century lantern head. Stone. Octagonal stopped plinth; large octagonal plinth with square shafts at the corners which probably originally had pinnacles, and with quatrefoils on alternate sides. Tapered shaft with moulded corners. The lantern head is a late 19th century replacement and has crocketted ogee canopied niches and pinnacles.


English Heritage, 2011, Heritage at Risk Register 2011: South West, 105 (Report - non-specific). SDV355280.

Generally satisfactory but with significant localised problems. Declining. Principal vulnerability collapse.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV240502Article in Serial: Masson Phillips, E. N.. 1937. The Ancient Stone Crosses of Devon: Part I. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 69. A5 Hardback. 339.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #102730 ]
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344880Schedule Document: Department for Culture, Media and Sport. 2000. Medieval Churchyard Cross, 6 Metres South-east of the Porch of St Andrew's Church. The Schedule of Monuments. A4 Stapled.
SDV344882Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1951 - 1979. SX75NE2. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV344883Ground Photograph: Unknown. Harberton Churchyard Cross. Unknown. Photograph (Paper).
SDV355280Report - non-specific: English Heritage. 2011. Heritage at Risk Register 2011: South West. english Heritage. Digital. 105.
SDV360833Un-published: Watson, A.. 2007-2017?. Devon Crosses. Mixed Archive Material + Digital. 196, (Vol 2), sketch.

Associated Monuments

MDV7557Related to: Harberton, St Andrews (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 1 2018 11:20AM