HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV75890
Name:Matford Barton Farmhouse

Summary

Matford Barton farmhouse built in the 17th century and rebuilt in the 18th century and later divided into two houses

Location

Grid Reference:SX 924 892
Map Sheet:SX98NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishExminster
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishALPHINGTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 85458
  • Royal Albert Memorial Museum Accession Number: 75/2008

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVI to XVIII - 1600 AD to 1800 AD (Between))

Full description

Tyler, K., 2009, Archaeological Excavation at Matford Barton, Exminster, 2 (Report - Excavation). SDV343380.


English Heritage, 2009, List of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV343181.

Matford Barton farmhouse in Dawlish Road was Listed on 11th November 1952. The farmhouse has been divided into two properties built in the 17th century and rebuilt in the mid 18th century. Whitewashed Heavitree brecchia with a pyramidal slate roof and large chimney stack at the apex with several flues. Double depth 4-room plan of the mid 18th century with a central corridor, heated principal rooms to the front and service rooms to the rear: original kitchen to rear left. A straight stair rises behind the rear wall of the front right room at right angles to the central corridor. A cellar below ground level beneath the two right hand rooms is 17th century in origin and appears to have been either two service rooms of a 17th century house, or possibly two principal rooms. The cellar is now entirely below ground level but clearly was not originally. Former dairy in lean-to at right end now converted to cottage. Two storey late 20th century addition at left end. Main range subdivided into two houses of two storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay front with very deep eaves with paired brackets, central round-headed doorway with semi-circular fanlight, ground floor windows left and right are paired sashes, 4 over 6 panes to each sash. First floor windows are round headed sashes with spoke glazing bars in the heads. The rear elevation has a similar doorway and small-pane sashes. Interior: The plan is largely intact although the interior has been thoroughly refurbished in the late 20th century and features have been introduced from elsewhere. The cellar has a pitched stone floor with drains. The two cellar rooms are divided by a stone wall; each room has a deeply-chamfered cross beam and the rear room has a 17th century window with octagonal wooden mullions, stanchions and saddle bars. The window is now below ground level. There is no obvious evidence that either room was heated, although a lateral stack may be missing. A 20th century fireplace has been inserted against the partition wall. A compact house with a striking exterior, conspicuous from the road. Other details: LBS Number 85458.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV343181List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2009. List of Buildings of Architectural or Historic Interest. Historic Houses Register. Unknown.
SDV343380Report - Excavation: Tyler, K.. 2009. Archaeological Excavation at Matford Barton, Exminster. Exeter Archaeology Report. 09.37. A4 Stapled + Digital. 2.

Associated Monuments

MDV10027Related to: Matford Mill (Monument)
MDV16130Related to: Medieval Settlement at Matford, Alphington (Monument)
MDV75892Related to: Mill Race at Matford Barton (Monument)
MDV75891Related to: Prehistoric Pits at Matford Barton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4558 - Excavation at Matford Barton, Exminster

Date Last Edited:Jan 9 2014 2:35PM