HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV76255
Name:Berry Farmstead south-west of Upcott

Summary

Berry farmstead to the south-west of Upcott was mentioned in 1333. The farmhouse was destroyed by fire but 1-3 Berry Cottages remain at the site

Location

Grid Reference:SS 566 092
Map Sheet:SS50NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishDowland
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishUNKNOWN

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XIII to XIX - 1300 AD to 1889 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Berry shown with house on north side of yard (Tithe Apporitionment 47 'House and Yard').
Map object based on this source.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Berry' is shown on 19th century map as a long rectangular building on the west side of the road with a group of buildings on the south-west side of the irregular shaped yard to the west.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Long rectangular building on the roadside present on early 20th century map. Map object based on this Source.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1932, The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two, 368 (Monograph). SDV337894.

'Berry' was mentioned as 'atte Bury' in 1345, 'la Bury' in 1333 and 'Bury' in 1504. There are no remains now.


Ellis, D. A., 1992, Dowland Past and Present, 35-6 (Pamphlet). SDV344172.

Berry was mentioned as Bury in 1345. According to legend the manor house at Bury was destroyed by fire. The farmstead changed hands many times between 1606-1889.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

The rectangular is no longer present and there are modern buildings along the roadside. The other buildings to the west consist of 1-3 Berry Cottages. Map object based on this Source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337894Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1932. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. IX. A5 Hardback. 368.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV344172Pamphlet: Ellis, D. A.. 1992. Dowland Past and Present. Paperback Volume. 35-6.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV76256Related to: Quarry north of Berry Cottages (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 13 2014 11:47AM