HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV76284
Name:Warehouse, King Street, Bideford


Mid-19th century warehouse, with 20th century use as a public house, club or cafe.


Grid Reference:SS 454 266
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WAREHOUSE (XIX - 1842 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Torridge District Council, Bideford Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Action Plan for 1996-1999, 25 (Un-published). SDV345901.

Considered to be 'seriously at risk' and identified as a target building.

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Timms, S. C., 1977-1981, Bideford Development Control Consultations (Un-published). SDV346164.

Visited 23rd June 1981 by Simon Timms. Large three-storey stone built warehouse. Proposal to convert to pottery museum.

Torridge District Council, 2003, Bideford Townscape Heritage Initiative Stage 2 Bid, 24 (Un-published). SDV345899.

Warehouse to rear of 85, High Street.
Late 18th century unlisited stone warehouse. Currently used for casual storage. Other details: Photos.

Passmore, A. J., 2009, Archaeological Recording of a Warehouse at King Street, Bideford, Devon (Report - non-specific). SDV344214.

Warehouse on the west side of King Street, which runs behind The Quay. Not shown on Wood's map of 1842, at which time two other buildings were shown on its footprint. The warehouse was constructed by the 1880s.
A rectangular, three-storey building with an angled north-east corner, respecting the alignment of King Street. Includes an integral single-storey range on the south elevation, which has been extended to the east. At the west end the warehouse incorparates a small cottage which was not entered due to dangerous stairs and floors.
Constructed of roughly-laid local slates and sandstone bonded with a hard, gritty, white cement with gravel, brick and coal inclusions. The windows in the north, south and east elevations are aligned in a regular grid pattern. Shallow, red brick arches above the ground- and first floor windows. All windows have wooden frames, but they are of varying designs. Each window has iron security bars. The dividing wall between warehouse and cottage 'abuts' a row of windows, allowing a single window to provide light to both warehouse and cottage on the upper floors.
The warehouse sites within a large courtyard, which at various times had been completely infilled.
The building is of lesser architectural quality than the earlier warehouses on the east side of King Street. Much of the timberwork has been reused, and much of the stone may have been recycled from earlier buildings on the site. The lack of fittings within the building probably indicates that it was used purely for storage, possibly for fragile or perishable goods such as textiles, although some light manufacturing cannot be ruled out.
It has been relatively unaltered through its history, the main alteration being the raising of the ground floor in the western part of the building. This seems to be associated with the creation or alteration of a cellar. The cellar walls appear contemporary with the ground floor masonry, and it is possible that a cellar was intended from the outset. The alterations to the ground floor level may have resulted from raising the cellar floor iteslf, perhaps due to damp penetration.
In the 20th century the building seems to have gone out of use as a warehouse, and there is evidence for use as a public house, club or, less probably, a cafe. New buildings were constructed within the yard, and signage and fittings clearly indicate the preparation of food on a small industrial scale. Map object based on this Source.

Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344214Report - non-specific: Passmore, A. J.. 2009. Archaeological Recording of a Warehouse at King Street, Bideford, Devon. Exeter Archaeology Report. 09.111. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV345899Un-published: Torridge District Council. 2003. Bideford Townscape Heritage Initiative Stage 2 Bid. Torridge District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 24.
SDV345901Un-published: Torridge District Council. Bideford Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Action Plan for 1996-1999. Torridge District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 25.
SDV346164Un-published: Timms, S. C.. 1977-1981. Bideford Development Control Consultations. Devon County Council Conservation Section Collection. A4 Unbound.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4588 - Recording of a Warehouse in King Street, Bideford

Date Last Edited:Sep 12 2012 2:02PM