HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV76286
Name:1 and 2 Frogmore Farm, Ashprington


1 and 2 Frogmore Farm at Ashprington built in the early 17th century and divided into two dwellings in the late 20th century


Grid Reference:SX 816 568
Map Sheet:SX85NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishAshprington
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishASHPRINGTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 100939

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVI to XX - 1600 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Frogmore' farmhouse shown on 19th century map as an irregular shaped building on the east side of the road.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 2010, Ashprington (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV344222.

Frogmore Farmhouse was divided into two dwellings in the late 20th century and is now known as 1 and 2 Frogmore Farm. The stone stack to the rear wing has been removed and the plan returned to its original orientation. Number 1 forms the higher north-east end and Number 2 forms the lower south-west end.

English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Frogmore Farmhouse in Ashprington was Listed on 6 th April 1989. Built in the early 17th century, remodelled in the early to mid 19th century; it may have been first remodelled in the 18th century. Local stone rubble under a grouted scantle slate roof, the main range has hipped ends, the rear wing is gabled and hipped. Right hand end has a projecting stone stack with oven at the base and a tall red brick shaft. Central axial rendered stack, and stone stack on gable end of rear wing with old clay pot. Plan: Probably originally a three-room and through passage plan facing east, the lower end to the left (south). The hall heated from an axial stack backing onto the passage, the inner room with an end stack and the lower end unheated. The wing at the rear (west) of the inner room may be original or a 18th century addition when the house was possibly first remodelled. But the major remodelling seems to have taken place in the early to mid 19th century when the house was turned back-to-front so that it now faces west, an entrance stair hall was built behind the hall in the angle with the rear (now front) wing; the lower side partition of the through passage was removed and the front and rear doorways of the passage blocked; the lower end was partitioned to form a dairy at the lower south end and in the higher north part a pantry was formed at the back (west) and a second staircase at the front (east) with an axial passage between giving access to the dairy. A new doorway was inserted directly into the hall with access through an outshut on the front (east), now the back facing the farmyard. Exterior: two storeys. Asymmetrical 5-window range facing east. First floor four 19th century three and two-light casements with glazing bars and a 19th century 16-pane sash to right. The ground floor has late 19th century glazed garden door to right and three-light 19th century casements to its left, both with red brick segmented arches. Across the centre of the east front a circa mid 19th century single storey outshut with a corrugated asbestos lean-to-roof and a plank door; the outshut is open at the right hand end but conceals the main entrance to the right of centre. To the left of the outshut a small lower outshut in the angle is now roofless and at the left end of the east front a 19th century plank door and unglazed window into the lower end dairy. The west elevation facing the road has two 19th century 12-pane sashes on the first floor to the right and small louvered windows below ventilating the pantry and dairy; a 20th century metal frame casement to the left of the blocked passage rear doorway. To the left a wing projects; it is gable-ended to the left with stack, and hipped to the right with a fixed light stair window with glazing bars. In the angle on the right hand side of the wing there is a 19th century panelled door with a 20th century canopy over. The left hand corner is chamfered and the left hand side of the wing has a 19th century 16-pane sash in a gable with shaped and pierced bargeboards. The lower right hand corner of the building is also chamfered. Interior: Large hall fireplace in the axial stack with is lintel supported on a moulded corbel at one end . Chamfered cross-beams in the hall with hollow step stops, some of the beam ends are buried in the wall plaster concealing the stops. A bench at the higher end of the hall has shaped bracket legs. The through passage front doorway has chamfered timber lintel with hollow step stops. Entrance hall on the west side has a mid 19th century open-well staircase with stick balusters and a moulded handrail ramped up to turned newels. The lower (south) end dairy has chamfered cross beams and slate shelves around the walls. The interior has been virtually unaltered since the 19th century. Roof: the roof structure has been replaced in the 19th century. Other details: LBS Number 100939.

Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

South Hams District Council, Unknown, Ashprington Conservation Area Appraisal (Report - non-specific). SDV352046.

Circa early 17th century but remodelled and later converted to 2 cottages during the late 20th century. With possible smoking chamber and a chimney stack added in the late 17th century using Dutch bricks.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #103316 ]
SDV344222List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department for Culture, Media and Sport. 2010. Ashprington. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet.
SDV352046Report - non-specific: South Hams District Council. Unknown. Ashprington Conservation Area Appraisal. South Hams District Council. A2 Folded + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV76289Related to: 4-5 Frogmore Farm, Ashprington (Building)
MDV76287Related to: Long Frogmore, Ashprington (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Sep 27 2018 4:11PM