HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV76290
Name:The Farmhouse, The Olde Dairy and Fir Tree Cottage at Whiteley Farmstead

Summary

The Farmhouse, The Olde Dairy and Fir Tree Cottage at Whiteley farmstead built in the 17th century with later extensions and alterations

Location

Grid Reference:SX 779 609
Map Sheet:SX76SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHarberton
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHARBERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 101293

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVI to XX - 1600 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Whiteley' farmstead shown on 19th century map as a large group of buildings on around an irregular shaped yard with formal gardens to the south of the farmhouse.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.


Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 2010, Harberton (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV344225.

Whiteley Farmhouse now converted into three dwellings and Listed as The Farmhouse, The Olde Dairy and Fir Tree Cottage.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Whiteley Farmhouse was Listed on 9th February 1961 and formerly known as Whiteley. The farmhouse was built in the 17th century or earlier, extended probably in the 18th century and remodelled in the mid 19th century. It is constructed of rendered stone rubble under a scantle slate roof at rear of lower end and asbestos at rear of high end and cedar shingle on front pitch. Half hipped at lower right end and gabled at hight left end. Rendered axial chimmey stack to right of centre with thatch weathering and gable end stack to left. Plan: A long single depth range, its original plan uncertain; the left hand end is possibly the higher end of a three room plan house, the lower end of which has been demolished but would have extended to the right. At the higher left end a two-room plan addition with a central stair hall has been built probably in 18th century. There is a lateral stack at the rear of the earlier right end which may be the hall stack. At the rear right of the 18th century extension an early to mid 20th century rear wing and at the rear left a late 20th century wing. There are also 20th century lean-to outshuts at the rear. Exterior: two storeys. Long approximately eight window range asymmetrically spaced. At the lower right end a 19th century three-light casement with horizontal glazing bars and first floor left a two-light casement with margin frames. Doorway to left of lower end with rectangular six-pane fanlight in heavy frame and with margin panes to first floor; ground floor three mid 19th century French windows with margin panes and intersecting glazing bars in round arched fanlights, ground floor right 20th century metal frame window in round arch openings: central doorway with 20th century plank door, semi-circular fanlight and 20th century porch. All the first floor windows are in gabled half dormers. Rear of lower end a tendered stack with set-offs, 19th century two and three-light casements with glazing bars and 20th century lean-to to outshut. At rear of higher end a round arched stair window with margin panes flanked by two 20th century wings with 20th century lean-to between. Interior: First floor of lower right end has passage along rear with plank partition and field two-panel doors. The roof over lower end has principal rafters with straight feet, morticed for threaded ridge, threaded purlins and dovetail lap-jointed collars. There has been a fire at the higher left end and the principal rafters are cleared, their apexes are morticed and the collars are halved and pegged to the face of the principals. Other details: LBS Number 101293.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #103321 ]
SDV344225List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department for Culture, Media and Sport. 2010. Harberton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Stapled.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 16 2010 10:15AM