HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV76462
Name:Tiverton and District Hospital

Summary

The hospital originated as a dispensary in 1852. This was rebuilt in the later 19th century and gradually expanded to include the site of the former brewery to the north.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 956 128
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOSPITAL (XIX to XX - 1801 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

Group of buildings on the corner of Bampton Street and William Street marked as 'Infirmary & Dispensary'.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

'Infirm. & Dispen.' shown.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.


Passmore, A. J., 2010, The Former Tiverton and District Hospital. Archaeological Evaluation and Historic Building Appraisal (Report - Evaluation). SDV344482.

The hospital originated as a dispensary on Bampton Street in 1852. This was rebuilt in the later 19th century and further properties to the south were annexed. Wards were also added to the east. Further additions were made in 1904 and 1906 when a laundry, mortuary and the Coles Institute were erected. The brewery to the north was demolished by phases in the first half of the 20th century and by 1947 the whole site was occupied by the hospital and 57 Bampton Street was turned into nurses accommodation.


Gaimster, M., 2011, Post-Medieval Fieldwork in Britain and Northern Ireland in 2010: Devon (Article in Serial). SDV361542.

Summary of the work carried out by Exeter Archaeology in 2010 at 57 Bampton Street, including details of the early 17th-century house, as well as the 19th century brewery and mid-19th century dispensary that also occupied the site (citing Exeter Archaeology Report 10.14).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV344482Report - Evaluation: Passmore, A. J.. 2010. The Former Tiverton and District Hospital. Archaeological Evaluation and Historic Building Appraisal. Exeter Archaeology Report. 10.14. A4 stapled + Digital.
SDV361542Article in Serial: Gaimster, M.. 2011. Post-Medieval Fieldwork in Britain and Northern Ireland in 2010: Devon. Post-Medieval Archaeology. 45. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV24602Related to: 57 Bampton Street, Tiverton (Building)
MDV76476Related to: Old Brewery, Bampton Street, Tiverton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4632 - Archaeological Evaluation of the Former Tiverton and District Hospital

Date Last Edited:Jul 19 2018 9:31AM