HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV77066
Name:Pepperdon farmstead, Moretonhampstead

Summary

Farmstead dates back to at least the early 14th century, based on documentary evidence, although it may have existed in Saxon times. Originally part of Lustleigh parish, it became part of Moretonhampstead in 1885. Detailed history available from the Moretonhampstead History Society.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 774 851
Map Sheet:SX78NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishMoretonhampstead
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishUNKNOWN

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Founded, VIII to XIII - 701 AD? to 1300 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Pepperdon is depicted on the late 19th century historic map (although apparently not shown on the Tithe map for Lustleigh or Moretonhampstead). Layout of the buildings much the same as on the modern mapping, apart from the additional large modern structures to the north-east.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1932, The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two, 485 (Monograph). SDV337894.

'Pepperdon' is 'Pypedenne' in 1310, 'Pippedene' in 1333 and 'Peppedon' in 1727.


Moretonhampstead History Society, 2001-2018, Moretonhampstead History Society (Website). SDV347361.

Detailed description available for Pepperdon at page http://www.moretonhampstead.org.uk/gaz/pepperdon.ghtml, including details from documentation from the 14th century onwards. More closely association with Lustleigh parish, Pepperdon may date back to Saxon times. As a free tenement of Lustleigh it had to pay a quit Rent of sixpence a year to the Lord of the Manor of Lustleigh, and was required, every fifth year, to do the office of 'Tithingman'. Pepperdon remained in Lustleigh parish until 1885, when it was transferred to Moretonhampstead.
Detailed notes compiled by Peter Wills record the history and ownership and note its condition was a cause for concern as early as 1938 when it was suggested that it be demolished and replaced. Was used during the war for evacuees.


Dartmoor National Park Authority, 2003 - 2005, Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 2003-2005 (Report - Survey). SDV344545.

Farmstead included in survey. Visited on 19/09/2005.


Ordnance Survey, 2018, MasterMap 2018 (Cartographic). SDV360652.

Pepperdon is depicted on the modern mapping. Largely similar to the 19th century historic map depiction, with additional large modern structures now shown to the north-east of the farm.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337894Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1932. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. IX. A5 Hardback. 485.
SDV344545Report - Survey: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 2003 - 2005. Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 2003-2005. Dartmoor National Park Authority. Digital.
SDV347361Website: Moretonhampstead History Society. 2001-2018. Moretonhampstead History Society. http://www.moretonhampstead.org.uk. Website.
SDV360652Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap 2018. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV40287Parent of: Pepperdon Farmhouse, Moretonhampstead (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 22 2018 1:15PM