HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV77124
Name:Berrydown farmstead, Gidleigh

Summary

Farmstead dates to at least the early 14th century, based on documentary evidence. Depicted on the 1840s Tithe Map, this farm included Little Berrydown and Berrydown Cottage until the 20th century. Although altered, farm still retains important buildings, including the listed farmhouse; a converted longhouse. Included in Dartmoor National Park Authority Historic Farmsteads survey in 1992.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 665 879
Map Sheet:SX68NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishGidleigh
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishUNKNOWN

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XIV to Late Medieval - 1330 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Berrydown is depicted on the Tithe Map; 387-388 on the Gidleigh apportionment; 'House, Bartons and C.' At this time, the farmhouse is depicted as an L-shaped building with additions at the eastern and to the north. Two rectangular farm buildings are also included in the southern part of the yard, as well as a small structure beside the road (now Little Berrydown) and Berrydown Cottage to the north-west of the farm.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Some alterations to the farm buildings visible from the late 19th century historic map depiction; one of the rectangular buildings to the south-east of the farmhouse appears to be falling into decline.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Similar to the late 19th century historic map, except that the rectangular building directly south-east of the farmhouse is no longer shown. Also, Little Berrydown has been rebuilt/extended by this time and appears to be a larger property.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1932, The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two, 439 (Monograph). SDV337894.

Berrydown was probably the home of Simon de Beridon (1333 Subsidy Roll record).


Dartmoor National Park Authority, 1993 - 1997, Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997 (Report - Survey). SDV344544.

Farmstead included in survey. Visited on 01/03/1992.


Grumley-Grennan, T. + Hardy, M., 2000, Gidleigh. A Dartmoor Village Past and Present, 79-85 (Monograph). SDV359347.

One of the most important farms in the parish in the early 19th century. Home of Ralph de Beridon, according to the Assize Roll of 1322. Name comes from the Celtic word for hilltop; 'Berriow'. In 1332, Assize Roll shows property in possession of Simon de Beridon (son of Ralph). On a list of Jurates in the Stannary Court of Chagford dated 1532, the first of numerous John Rowes of Berrydown appear (again in 1572; the Tawton Rolls have a John Rowe in residence). It is not clear which Rowe the initials on the farmhosue relate to. Property remained in possession of the Rowes until 1938. House was run as a guest house in the late 1930s/early 1940s. In 1943 it was taken over by Florence and Arthur Charles (Charlie) Endacott and was turned back into a working farm, with the farmhouse accommodating lodgers. (Further ownership details of the property recorded).


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

The modern map has rather misleading labels at Berrydown. The main section of the original manor farm can still be seen, with two separate properties to the north-west. The label for Little Berrydown however is placed by Berrydown Cottage. At the south-east of the farm, a label of 'Lower Berrydown' is placed near the lower farm building but appears to relate to the late 20th century dwelling built to the east of the farm (originally part of the nursery).

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV337894Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1932. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. The Place-Names of Devon: Part Two. IX. A5 Hardback. 439.
SDV344544Report - Survey: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 1993 - 1997. Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997. dartmoor National Park Authority. Mixed Archive Material.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #104109 ]
SDV359347Monograph: Grumley-Grennan, T. + Hardy, M.. 2000. Gidleigh. A Dartmoor Village Past and Present. Gidleigh. A Dartmoor Village Past and Present. Hardback Volume. 79-85.

Associated Monuments

MDV6130Parent of: Berrydown Manor, Gidleigh (Building)
MDV33348Parent of: Thatched pound house, Berrydown Farm (Building)
MDV114015Related to: Berrydown Cottage, Gidleigh (Building)
MDV114037Related to: Cherryford, Gidleigh (Building)
MDV114026Related to: Farmhouse at Scorhill, Gidleigh
MDV114014Related to: Little Berrydown, Gidleigh (Building)
MDV114012Related to: Plant nursery at Berrydown, Gidleigh (Monument)
MDV27493Related to: The Bradford Pool Leat (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 5 2016 11:53AM