HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV77221
Name:New Barn, Manor Farm

Summary

Late 18th or early 19th century threshing barn and shippon to the east of Manor Farm, shown on the 1841 Tithe Map.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 720 566
Map Sheet:SX75NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNorth Huish
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTH HUISH

Protected Status

  • SHINE: New Barn. Barn dating to the 18th or earlier 19th century and remains of pond possibly of similar date to east of Manor Court

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BANK BARN (XVIII to XIX - 1751 AD to 1841 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

'New Barn' shown.


Waterhouse, R. E., 2007, New Barn, Manor Farm, North Huish: An Archaeological Appraisal (Report - Survey). SDV344589.

An outfield barn/shippon built in the late 18th or early 19th century, one kilometre from the old Manor Farm site, but currently only a field away from the later 19th century planned farmstead. The building was constructed on a previously open site against the north slope of the valley, alongside a stream. It was cut into the steep slope, with a shippon on the ground floor and a threshing barn above, which was accessed at the rear, giving the term 'bank barn'. The shippon has a series of seven narrrow arched doorways opening onto the valley floor, which appears to have been walled to create a small rectangular yard. The original manger, paralell to the rear wall, appears to have been set back slightly from the current one, which has been moved forward to create a wider feeding passage behind it. The upper floor was constructed as a threshing barn, with a strengthened floor in the centre between two pairs of draught doors in the north and south walls. The northern doorway was widest, and retains its oak frame with removable centre post to allow carts to be driven into the building. Later in the 19th century, possibly coinciding with the moving of Manor Farm to its current location, a doorway giving access to the feeding passage was driven through the east wall of the shippon, the manger moved forward and an angled hayrack fixed above it. A root store was created at the west end. By the early 20th century it appears the threshing barn had gone out of use, and the building had become a cattle shelter only, with a hayloft above. In the mid 20th century the roof failed, the upper floor was reduced in height and it was replaced with a monopitch corrugated asbestos roof. Other details: Maps, plans and elevation.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #104199 ]
SDV344589Report - Survey: Waterhouse, R. E.. 2007. New Barn, Manor Farm, North Huish: An Archaeological Appraisal. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV77222Related to: Former Pond at New Barn, Manor Farm (Monument)
MDV77223Related to: Manor Farm (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4696 - An Archaeological Appraisal of New Barn, Manor Farm, North Huish

Date Last Edited:May 19 2010 10:26AM