HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV77370
Name:Clampitt farmstead, Christow

Summary

Clampitt farmstead, Christow (also known as 'Clampit'). Historic farmstead thought to date back to the early 13th century, according to documentary evidence. Was occupied by Quakers in the late 17th-mid 18th century and Friends met at the farmhouse and a number were buried in a Quaker burial ground in a nearby field. At the end of the 19th century the farm was purchased with others locally, amid fears of water contamination in Torquay and the farmhouse was demolished. The two remaining buildings (barn and shippon) are marked as 'Beacon Farm' on the modern maps.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 810 845
Map Sheet:SX88SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishChristow
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishCHRISTOW

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XII to XXI - 1200 AD to 2011 AD (Between))

Full description

1840, Tithe Map (Cartographic). SDV339770.

'Clampit' farm depicted on the Tithe Map of approximately 1840, comprising a rectangular farmhouse to the north of the site, with three other buildings adjoining it, enclosing a square farmyard. Two small buildings indicated to the far north of the holding.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Alteration of the buildings at Clampitt shown on the First Edition Ordnance Survey map since the Tithe Map depiction, including the addition of a number of structures to the east and north of the central farm buildings.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

By the time of the Second Edition Ordnance Survey map (early 20th century), the farmhouse and many of the associated buildings had been demolished, leaving only the shippon and barn and one or two smaller structures.


Dartmoor National Park Authority, 1993 - 1997, Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997 (Report - Survey). SDV344544.

Farmstead included in survey. Visited on 06/04/1995.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Farmstead only consists of the shippon and barn (both listed) and one remaining small structure to the north of the site.


Travers, A., Feb 2004, Clampitt Farm, Christow (Report - Assessment). SDV347641.

Clampitt means 'muddy hollow' and the earliest record of the name dates to 1219. By the 14th century the place had given its name to a family, who occur in the later court rolls and who were numerous in the 16th century.
By 1669 there was a Quaker community at Clampitt, one of whom was Ellis Tuckett who was apparently jailed for being a Quaker, although this is unconfirmed. He is said to have been the first to be buried at Clampitt when he died in 1687. The last registered burial at Clampitt took place in 1732. After meetings for worship taking place in the farmhouse kitchen there for around 70 years, according to documentary sources, the Tuckett family moved away, ending the Quaker association with the farm.
In 1897 the farm was compulsory purchased by the Corporation of Torquay after concerns in Torquay over water contamination. Apparently the old farmhouse was still standing in 1899 and a recent owner William Addems pointed out the location of the Quaker burial ground, stating that at least 20 graves had been noted there when workmen dug up a quantity of human bones, which were then re-interred. It was around this time that the farmhouse at Clampitt was demolished.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV339770Cartographic: 1840. Tithe Map. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV344544Report - Survey: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 1993 - 1997. Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997. dartmoor National Park Authority. Mixed Archive Material.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #104333 ]
SDV347641Report - Assessment: Travers, A.. Feb 2004. Clampitt Farm, Christow. A4 Bound.

Associated Monuments

MDV80550Parent of: Barn on Clampitt farmstead, Christow (Building)
MDV80551Parent of: Shippon at Clampitt farmstead, Christow (Building)
MDV120082Related to: Clampitt Cottages, east of Kennick Reservoir (Building)
MDV80552Related to: Quaker burial ground at Clampitt Farm, Christow (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 23 2017 1:34PM