HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV77445
Name:Dunnabridge Farm, Dartmoor Forest

Summary

Farmstead dates to at least the later medieval period. Depicted on the Tithe Map, by the early 20th century, a new farmhouse had been constructed in the centre of the farm.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 642 742
Map Sheet:SX67SW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishDartmoor Forest
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishUNKNOWN

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1838-1848, Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848 (Cartographic). SDV349431.

Two main buildings with smaller associated structures shown on the Tithe Map for 'Dunnabridge'.


Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Buildings appear more spaced out on this version of the historic mapping; either that or the western buildings in the group have changed.


Hemery, E., 1983, High Dartmoor, 150 (Monograph). SDV249702.


Dartmoor National Park Authority, 1993 - 1997, Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997 (Report - Survey). SDV344544.

Farmstead included in survey. Visited during August 1992.


Ordnance Survey, 2016, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359352.


National Monument Record, 2016, Pastscape (Website). SDV359354.

The land was let in equal parts to five named tenants. There were still five tenements in 1786; four of them were held by Thomas Leaman and one by John Leaman (1839 Tithe Map). In 1839, four of the tenements were still occupied by the Leaman family (Jones, B., History of the Dartmoor Tenements, Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments in England, 1988). By 1841 Richard Tuckett lived at Dunnabridge; he farmed 195 acres and in 1851 he employed five male servants whose ages ranged from eight to eighteen years. By 1861 the Tuckett family were living at Dunnabridge Pound and George French had taken Dunnabridge. In 1910 Dunnabridge Farm, occupied by F. Turner, consisted of nearly 197 acres, a house and "adequate" outbuildings. Dunnabridge Pound Farm (MDV78078) was occupied by William Tuckett, who had the farmhouse and nearly 135 acres of land (1839 Tithe Map).
The arrangment of farm buildings and yards at Dunnabridge suggests that the dwellings of the medieval tenants were grouped around a green or similar open space. The present outbuildings incorporate the remains of three earlier builtings (I-III) which themselves may have succeeded the medieval settlement (see individual records for detail).
III) SX 64257427. The predecessor of the modern farmhouse. The building, photographed by Burnard c.1885 was largely demolished to provide stone for the present house (4). It was the largest of the three buildings but the squared-off NW gable, the footings of the SW wall and parts of the NE and SE walls are all that now remain.
The present field pattern mat fossilize the medieval agricultural landscape. Individual tenant holdings cannot now be identified; it may however, be significant that at least three distinct blocks can be detected in the existing field pattern. The area SW of Dunnabridge Farm is divided into two by a long field boundary leading from the farm buildings to the western newtake. The fields immediately N of the farmbuildings to the form a third unit. North-east of the West Dart River one cornditch marks the SW edge of the in-bye, and another surrounds a trapezoid-shaped plot. In 1839, this plot was called "Granfer's Park": "Two Pence Lane" seperated it from the in-bye.
A field of about 3.2 hectares, 400m N of Dunnabridge Farm, contains ridge-and-furrow (SX 67 SW 88). It is cut by a late C18th turnpike road, now the B3357. Although beyond the present limit of the farm, the pattern of field boundaries in this area suggests that the field was once an intergral part of Dunnabridge Farm (5). (1-5)
SOURCE TEXT
(1) Dartmoor:A New Study, 1970, 150, C Gill.
(2) Lydford Parish 1839, Tithe Map and Apportionment, Devon Record Office.
(3) History of the Dartmoor Tenements, 1988, B Jones RCHME.
(4) High Dartmoor, 1983, E Hemery.
(5) RCHME Field Investigation, 15-JUN-1988, SAJ Probert.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV249702Monograph: Hemery, E.. 1983. High Dartmoor. High Dartmoor. Hardback Volume. 150.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344544Report - Survey: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 1993 - 1997. Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997. dartmoor National Park Authority. Mixed Archive Material.
SDV349431Cartographic: Devon County Council. 1838-1848. Tithe Mosaic, approximately 1838-1848. Digitised Tithe Map. Digital.
SDV359352Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital.
SDV359354Website: National Monument Record. 2016. Pastscape. http://www.pastscape.org.uk. Website.

Associated Monuments

MDV116774Parent of: Barn to the west of farmhouse, Dunnabridge (Building)
MDV14225Parent of: Dunnabridge farmhouse (Building)
MDV116775Parent of: Former farmhouse at Dunnabridge (Building)
MDV116776Parent of: Modern farmhouse at Dunnabridge (Building)
MDV34444Parent of: Structure at Dunnabridge Farm (Monument)
MDV15619Related to: Field system around Dunnabridge Farm (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 1 2017 3:32PM