HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV77738
Name:Count House, Gawton Mine


Remains of count house, to east of late 19th century engine house complex at Gawton Mine.


Grid Reference:SX 452 688
Map Sheet:SX46NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishGulworthy
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COUNTING HOUSE (XIX - 1895 AD to 1895 AD (Throughout))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Dixon, T. + Matthews, A. + Pye A. R. + Slater, W. D., 1988, Gawton Mine and Arsenic Works. The Field Survey. 1988, 39 (Report - Survey). SDV222516.

The count house is located on the south-east of the boiler-house on the northern side of a terrace. It appears to be a secondary development since it clearly overlies an earlier dwarf wall which forms the top of a wall revetting the terrace. The lower part of the eastern wall abuts the face of the dwarf wall at a lower level. The access into the count house is from the east, through a doorway which has later been partly blocked, and no evidence of the internal arrangement is visible. Other details: Figure 22.

Buck, C., 2006, Gawton Mine, Devon: Archaeological Assessment, 40 (Report - Assessment). SDV344672.

This building was constructed in 1895 and is located to the south-east of the boiler house, next to the stone breaker (crusher). It has intact walls but to a relatively low height. It is difficult to make out the site plan as it is later than the the original 1894 ore crusher and has been altered and re-adapted again since it is partial demolition over time. Other details: Figure 11, 36, site 30.

Buck, C., 2006, Gawton Mine, Devon: Impact Assessment Report, 13-14 (Report - Assessment). SDV348353.

The Tamar Valley Mining Heritage Project has proposed that a programme of building conservation and public safety works be undertaken to a number of sites within Gawton Quay and Mine. The impact of the proposed scheme on the northern wall of the count house is to minimally cleanse surface arsenic and consolidate the upper section of vertical wall next to the footpath route, after the removal of damaging trees that growing on and in the feature. The wall is in a relatively sound state, so this is likely to entail simply rebedding the top two courses of stone and repointing the upper sections of wall with a lime based mortar. Other details: Figure 4, site 30.

Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV222516Report - Survey: Dixon, T. + Matthews, A. + Pye A. R. + Slater, W. D.. 1988. Gawton Mine and Arsenic Works. The Field Survey. 1988. Exeter Museums Archaeological Field Unit Report. 89.02. A4 Stapled + Digital. 39.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #104663 ]
SDV344672Report - Assessment: Buck, C.. 2006. Gawton Mine, Devon: Archaeological Assessment. Cornwall County Council Report. 2006R023. A4 Stapled + Digital. 40.
SDV348353Report - Assessment: Buck, C.. 2006. Gawton Mine, Devon: Impact Assessment Report. Cornwall County Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 13-14.

Associated Monuments

MDV43330Part of: Engine House Complex, Gawton Mine (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4746 - Archaeological Assessment of Gawton Mine, Devon
  • EDV4747 - Field Survey of Gawton Mine

Date Last Edited:Nov 11 2011 10:45AM