HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV77998
Name:Store for Manufactured Tin, Union Tin Smelting Works


Storehouse with accommodation above, adjacent to the east side of the smelting house.


Grid Reference:SX 434 650
Map Sheet:SX46NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBere Ferrers
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishBERE FERRERS

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 92615

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • STOREHOUSE (XIX - 1849 AD to 1849 AD (Between))

Full description

Buck, C., 2008, Weir Quay Smelters, Devon: Impact and Conservation Assessment, 26-27 (Report - Assessment). SDV344723.

Three storey building comprising tin store on the ground floor and possible manager's or foreman's accommodation above, prevously described as a 'Count House with strong room underneath'. This is shown as an Assay Office and a 'store for manufactured tin' on a 19th century ground plan of the site. The tin store had a single doorway entrance direct from the smelter. The walls are over 0.6 metres thick and the two narrow windows in the north wall still retain their vertical iron bars. There are two brick arched windows in the east wall with brick cills, both of which had 20th century timber windows which may have replaced timber louvred windows inside external vertical iron bars. The floor consists of granite slabs which are in good condition. The lath and plaster ceiling has collapsed into the room in places, but all of the southern half of the room above has already had its floor joists removed, leaving a hanging partition and doorway. The first floor (the southern end of which extends over the adjacent assay office) appears to have originally had three rooms, two with a fireplace and a third with a Cornish range, with exterior access via stone steps. The two rooms on the upper floor appear to have been a later alteration, as the wall of the middle room on the first floor was moved 0.5 metres to the south to create space for a staircase to access them. The floorboards and joists of the upper floors have suffered substantial damage due to water entering the building through a rotten rooflight window. Other details: Figures 5, 10, 15-16, 22, site 14; Appendix 10.5 plan. Map object based on this Source.

English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Former smelting works including assay office now used as a flat. Probably built in 1849. Rubble walls. Hipped asbestos slate roofs. Large smelting house with smaller room divided off at one end as a strong room probably for the purpose of storing bar tin after smelting.

Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Map object based on this Source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV344723Report - Assessment: Buck, C.. 2008. Weir Quay Smelters, Devon: Impact and Conservation Assessment. Cornwall County Council Report. 2008R137. A4 Stapled + Digital. 26-27.

Associated Monuments

MDV13882Part of: Weirquay, Union Tin Smelting Works (Building)
MDV78001Related to: Assay Office, Union Tin Smelting Works (Building)
MDV77999Related to: Smelting House, Union Tin Smelting Works (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4767 - Archaeological Assessment of Weir Quay Smelters
  • EDV4768 - Field Survey of Weir Quay Smelters, Devon

Date Last Edited:Jul 29 2010 9:11AM