HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78008
Name:Middle Week Farmstead, South Tawton

Summary

Middle Week historic farmstead shown as two groups of buildings on 19th century maps

Location

Grid Reference:SX 662 921
Map Sheet:SX69SE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishSouth Tawton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH TAWTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XVIII to XIX - 1750 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Middle Week shown on 19th century map as two groups of buildings to the north-west and south-east of the road junction.


Dartmoor National Park Authority, 1993 - 1997, Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997 (Report - Survey). SDV344544.

Farmstead included in survey. Visited on 01/12/1995.


Cox, J. + Thorp, J. R. L., 2001, The Disused Farmhouse at Middle Week, South Tawton (Report - Assessment). SDV348294.

Middle Week was first mentioned as 'Middlewyke' in 1340 when it was part of the manor of Aish. It was owned by the Battishill family thrrough the 16th and 17th centuries The hamlet consists of a group of buildings on the north side of the lane, a new farmhouse to the south-east and a disused farmhouse and further buildings to the west of the lane to the east of the new farmhouse. The disused farmhouse at Middle Week is an L-shaped building forming the south-west corner of the group of buildings to the east of the new farmhouse. The old farmhouse is built down the hillslope on a roughly north-south axis. It faces east onto the yard and forms the north end of the west range of the stockyard. The southern part of the range is a lofted shippon. The south side of the range is closed by a range of single storey open fronted shelter sheds which date from the 19th century. Across the yard is an 18th century L-shaped linhay forming the north and east sides of the stockyard. The old farmhouse was built with the adjoining shippon and linhay in the early or mid 18th century. Extensive repairs were undertaken in the 19th century. The house was abandoned in 1972 and part of the north end was demolished and converted to an open-fronted trailer shed.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344544Report - Survey: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 1993 - 1997. Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997. dartmoor National Park Authority. Mixed Archive Material.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #104925 ]
SDV348294Report - Assessment: Cox, J. + Thorp, J. R. L.. 2001. The Disused Farmhouse at Middle Week, South Tawton. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K642. A4 Spiral Bound.

Associated Monuments

MDV80865Parent of: Middle Week Disused Farmhouse (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV5673 - Archaeological Assessment of the Disused Farmhouse at Middle Week

Date Last Edited:Nov 4 2011 2:20PM