HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78024
Name:Site of Cantrell farmstead, Ugborough

Summary

Site of Cantrell farm, Ugborough. Historic farmstead first mentioned in 1330 but not recorded on historic maps until the mid-19th century (Tithe Map). Used to be part of the Torpeek Manor and originally is thought to have only consisted of farm buildings. A farmhouse was added in the early 20th century. In the early 21st century the shippon and other farm buildings were converted for use as dwellings.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 660 568
Map Sheet:SX65NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishUgborough
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishUGBOROUGH

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMSTEAD (XIV to XX - 1330 AD to 2000 AD (Between))

Full description

1840, Tithe Map (Cartographic). SDV339770.

'Cantrell' farm depicted on the Tithe Map (875) with two buildings shown, both aligned south-west/north-east. The building to the south is a shippon. There are no dwellings indicated at this time.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Farmstead still much the same as depicted on the Tithe Map with two main buildings shown.


Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M., 1931, The Place-Names of Devon: Part One (Monograph). SDV1312.

Cantrell is first mentioned in 1330, the name coming from the Welsh for 'circle' or 'rim' - i.e.: on the slopes of a circular hill.


Gaskell-Brown, C. + Hankin, C., 1975 - 1978, Ugborough Parish Checklist (Worksheet). SDV161354.

Cantrell, farmhouse. This farm was formerly part of Torpeek Manor, and at Cantrell consisted only of farm buildings. Other details: In scanned parish files.


Dartmoor National Park Authority, 1993 - 1997, Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997 (Report - Survey). SDV344544.

Farmstead included in survey. Visited on 09/09/1995.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Current map shows further modern buildings to the south, west and north-east of the original farm unit.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV1312Monograph: Gover, J. E. B. + Mawer, A. + Stenton, F. M.. 1931. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. The Place-Names of Devon: Part One. VIII. A5 Hardback.
SDV161354Worksheet: Gaskell-Brown, C. + Hankin, C.. 1975 - 1978. Ugborough Parish Checklist. Parish Checklist. Digital.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV339770Cartographic: 1840. Tithe Map. Tithe Map and Apportionment. Map (Paper).
SDV344544Report - Survey: Dartmoor National Park Authority. 1993 - 1997. Dartmoor National Park Authority Farmstead Survey 1993-1997. dartmoor National Park Authority. Mixed Archive Material.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #104939 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV2983Parent of: Cantrell farmhouse, Ugborough (Building)
MDV80595Parent of: Shippon at Cantrell farm, Ugborough (Building)
MDV2984Parent of: Slotted gatepost at Cantrell Farm, Ugborough (Monument)
MDV113176Related to: Younghouse, Ugborough (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 21 2015 1:32PM