HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78137
Name:Orchard House, Teignmouth

Summary

Nineteenth century house, probably a remodelling of an earlier building. Used as a Headquarters of the 70th Batallion, Queen's Royal Regiment, during World War II.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 940 730
Map Sheet:SX97SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTeignmouth
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishWEST TEIGNMOUTH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 461161

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XIX to XXI - 1801 AD to 2010 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1975, Teignmouth Town Walk, 63 (Article in Serial). SDV352463.


Francis, P., 1999, Exeter Airport. Historic Airport Survey for Devon County Council & East Devon District Council, 57 (Report - non-specific). SDV323390.

In 1941 the Headquarters of the 70th Batallion, Queen's Royal Regiment was established in Orchard House, when 'B' Company of the Battalion took over responsibility for defence of Exeter Aerodrome.


Exeter Archaeology, 2004, Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Fire Station on Land off the A379 Teignmouth, Devon (Report - Assessment). SDV361709.

This house dates from the circa 1860s with late 19th-century wings and is probably a remodelling of an earlier building. In 1885 the South Kensington Institute of Science and Art (London) was established in Orchard Gardens and it is likely to have been in this house.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Orchard House and attached walls.
House. Circa 1860s with late 19th century wings, probably a remodelling of an earlier building, the rear is built into a hillside.
Painted stucco, slate roof with moulded rendered stacks to gable ends, between bays and rear. Double-depth plan.
Exterior: 3 storeys; 4-window range. The early 19th century main 2-window facade is flanked by late 19th century canted bays with plate-glass sash windows, all with wide bracketed eaves.
The early 19th century main block has moulded architraves to the 2nd floor, a 6/6-pane sash window to the left of centre, an 8/8-pane sash to the right of centre. A balcony to the first floor supported by cast-iron columns extending up to a swept lead canopy with a late 19th century fretted fascia, has 2 French windows; that to the right has margin panes. The balcony forms a porch over 2 bays to the ground floor which has banded rustication and a late 19th century moulded plinth.
A late 19th century canted bay to the right, also supporting the balcony, has French windows, the late 19th century door to the left has coloured leaded margin windows and overlight. The main block is flanked by buttresses to the ground floor with heavy consoles to the tops supporting the balcony ends.
Interior: the hall has a semi-elliptical arch to the stairs with roundels to the impost blocks, a late 19th century polychromatic tile floor, an open-string staircase with late 19th century turned balusters to the lower floors, early 19th century stick balusters above and 6-panel doors to first-floor landing. Room to right of the hall has an early 19th century moulded cornice and semicircular-arched recesses flanking a fireplace to the right. Moulded pilasters toward the rear separate the rear section which has a fireplace against the rear wall and a hemispherical-arched niche to the right; it is now divided by a 20th century screen.
Subsidiary Features: extending approx 2 metres from each front corner is a painted rendered wall approx 3 metres high, that to the right has a segmental archway to the rear. Attached to the rear left corner is a red sandstone rubble wall approx 4 metres high which curves round the left return to meet the rendered wall at the front.
Historical Note: in 1885 the South Kensington Institute of Science and Art (London) was established in Orchard Gardens and it is likely to have been in this house.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV323390Report - non-specific: Francis, P.. 1999. Exeter Airport. Historic Airport Survey for Devon County Council & East Devon District Council. Airfield Research Publishing Report. Digital + A4. 57.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #105051 ]
SDV352463Article in Serial: Devon County Council. 1975. Teignmouth Town Walk. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 63.
SDV361709Report - Assessment: Exeter Archaeology. 2004. Archaeological Assessment of Proposed Fire Station on Land off the A379 Teignmouth, Devon. Exeter Archaeology. 04.23. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4774 - Historic Airport Survey, Exeter Airport

Date Last Edited:Sep 7 2018 8:39AM