HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78146
Name:Lower Lovaton Farmhouse

Summary

Former farmhouse, converted to accommodation for two families of farm labourers in the late 19th century. It was abandoned in the 1930s and subsequently used for agricultural purposes.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 677 944
Map Sheet:SX69SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSouth Tawton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH TAWTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (Late Medieval - 1401 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Map object based on this Source.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.


Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants, 1991, Lower Lovaton Farmstead, South Tawton, Devon: Part 1. The Farmhouse, 10-11, 42 (Report - Survey). SDV344866.

The farmhouse was originally built in the medieval period, probably the second half of the fifteenth century, but its present arrangement is the result of several building phases and modernisations. The basic layout is that of a three room and cross passage house, but it is not entirely typical. It appears that the physically lower east end was the upper in terms of status, at least from the medieval period to the 17th century. This comprised two rooms, an open hall heated by an open fire, and a ground floor inner room and first floor solar or master chamber. The western room has mostly collapsed and 20th century repairs have obliterated all evidence for relationships between this and the rest of the house. In the late 16th century the present cross passage was knocked through the eastern end of the hall and the inner room was upgraded to a parlour, with a new fireplace backing onto the passage. In the early 18th century the hall was floored, the ground floor room was given a fireplace on the western side of the passage and the parlour and bedchamber refurbished. There were only minor alterations after this, most associated with the division of the farmhouse into two cottages in the late 19th century. Other details: Plan, site 1; photographs.


Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants, 1991, Lower Lovaton Farmstead, South Tawton, Devon: Part 2. The Farmbuildings (Report - Survey). SDV344867.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Map object based on this Source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV344866Report - Survey: Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants. 1991. Lower Lovaton Farmstead, South Tawton, Devon: Part 1. The Farmhouse. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K357. A4 Stapled + Digital. 10-11, 42.
SDV344867Report - Survey: Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants. 1991. Lower Lovaton Farmstead, South Tawton, Devon: Part 2. The Farmbuildings. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K357. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV6985Part of: Lower Lovaton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 19 2010 3:53PM