HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78152
Name:Linhay at Lower Lovaton

Summary

Linhay on west side of farmyard at Lower Lovaton, probably late 17th or early 18th century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 677 944
Map Sheet:SX69SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSouth Tawton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSOUTH TAWTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LINHAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1750 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.


Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants, 1991, Lower Lovaton Farmstead, South Tawton, Devon: Part 1. The Farmhouse (Report - Survey). SDV344866.

Other details: Plan, site 5.


Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants, 1991, Lower Lovaton Farmstead, South Tawton, Devon: Part 2. The Farmbuildings, 52-3 (Report - Survey). SDV344867.

The linhay was built with the barn adjoining at the north end on the west side of the farmyard, probably in the late 17th or early 18th century. It is now five bays, but the southern end is late 19th or early 20th century and it may originally have extended further. The rear (west) wall is cob on stone rubble footings, but the cob of the southern two bays has been rebuilt with 20th century concrete blocks. The tallet floor is carried on crossbeams, set into the cob at the back but supported on granite orthostats on the open front. The front was altered in the late 19th or early 20th century, when a stone rubble wall with a doorway blocked the southern three bays, and the granite post was removed from between the northern two bays. The tallet is open fronted, and the roof is now clad with corrugated iron but was originally thatched. There is a 20th century feeding trough along the rear of the linhay. Other details: Plates 25-6.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #105066 ]
SDV344866Report - Survey: Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants. 1991. Lower Lovaton Farmstead, South Tawton, Devon: Part 1. The Farmhouse. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K357. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV344867Report - Survey: Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants. 1991. Lower Lovaton Farmstead, South Tawton, Devon: Part 2. The Farmbuildings. Keystone Historic Buildings Consultants Report. K357. A4 Stapled + Digital. 52-3.

Associated Monuments

MDV6985Part of: Lower Lovaton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 19 2010 4:00PM