HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78199
Name:Stone Lodge and Threshers Barn to south-west of East Leigh Farmhouse, Harberton

Summary

Eighteenth century bank barn which was altered in the 19th century and now converted to two dwellings.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 765 579
Map Sheet:SX75NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHarberton
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishHARBERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 101311

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BANK BARN (Built, XVIII to Late 20th Century - 1701 AD to 1999 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Buildings visible on historic map although occupying a larger footprint than the current building shown on modern mapping.

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Building visible similar to footprint shown on modern mapping.

Department of National Heritage, 1993, Harberton (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV338990.

Barn about 20 metres southwest of East Leigh Farmhouse. Bank barn over stables or shippon. Circa C18, extensively rebuilt circa mid C19. Slate rubble. State roof with gabled ends.
Plan: Rectangular on plan. The walls to rear and at either end and at ends of front appear to be circa C18, and the centre part of front wall and roof probably rebuilt in mid C19.
Exterior: 2 storeys. 2 plank doors to ground floor with flat red brick arches. External stone stairs between doorways to loft door above, also with plank door and flat red brick arch. To left is a ventilation slit hight up in wall.
Interior: C19 nailed scissor truss roof.

Department for Culture, Media and Sport, 2010, Barn about 20 metres southwest of East Leigh Farmhouse, Harberton (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV344906.

Formerly known as 'the Barn', now known as 'Stone Lodge' and 'Threshers Barn'.

English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Stone Lodge and Threshers Barn, (formerly 'the Barn' 20 metres south-west of East Leigh Farmhouse), is a South Hams bank barn converted into two residential dwellings and dates from the 18th century with 19th and 20th century alterations.
The building is constructed of slate rubble with red brick detailing and a modern slate roof.
The barn is rectangular in plan and is built into the bank at its north-western end. The building is now divided into two dwellings which are accessed via the north-western gable elevation at first floor level and via the south-western elevation at ground floor level.
The building is of two storeys. The majority of the openings are situated within the south-west elevation and consist of five window openings on the first floor and five on the ground floor. All window openings contain modern casement windows. To the south east of this elevation are large openings within the ground and first floor, separated by red brick voussoirs. The north-east elevation faces the courtyard fronting East Leigh Farmhouse and contains three openings with timber plank doors and brick arches. In addition to the three doors a narrow ventilation shaft is situated at first floor level to the south east of the elevation. Internally all of these openings have been filled by concrete blocks.
Only the house to the north-west was inspected (2009) but it is clear the whole building has been subject to alteration since its conversion into two separate residential dwellings. The north-western dwelling is entirely plastered and painted internally but retains a nailed scissor-truss roof.
The barn at East Leigh Farmhouse dates to the 18th century with 19th century alterations. The building was converted into a residential dwelling circa 1996-7. The first edition Ordnance Survey map of 1886 illustrates the site with East Leigh Farmhouse to the north-east and the barn to the south-west. The barn has smaller structures aligned at right angles to the main barn attached to both the north and south façades. The building to the north has been demolished but the structure to the south remains extant.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION
Stone Lodge and Threshers Barn, (formerly the Barn 20 metres south-west of East Leigh Farmhouse), Harberton is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
It is a good example of a South Hams bank barn dating originally from the 18th century.
The north-east elevation remains largely intact and retains 18th and 19th century fabric.
Despite alterations associated with its conversion to residential use, its form and function as a bank barn remain readily legible.
Date first listed: 26th April 1993. Date of most recent amendment: 12th January 2010

Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Building visible, divided into two.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV338990List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of National Heritage. 1993. Harberton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Comb Bound.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #105105 ]
SDV344906List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department for Culture, Media and Sport. 2010. Barn about 20 metres southwest of East Leigh Farmhouse, Harberton. Notification of Amendment to List. A4 Stapled.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 9 2020 3:38PM