HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78214
Name:Former Fitting Shop and Erecting Shed, Mount Foundry

Summary

Former fitting shop and erecting shed, originally part of Mount Foundry. Adaped for use as part of a woollen mill in the late 19th century. Converted for residential use in the early 21st century.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 486 747
Map Sheet:SX47SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTavistock
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTAVISTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref: 93469

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • INDUSTRIAL BUILDING (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Barclay, G. S., 2002, Conversion of Redundant Warehouse Buildings at Kaminski's Garden Centre, Parkwood Road, Tavistock (Plan - measured). SDV358889.


Warren, S., 2002, Evaluation. Listed Foundry Building. Parkwood Road, Tavistock (Report - Evaluation). SDV348734.

The listed building comprises two distinct parts and reflects the fact that these were originally two separate buildings built at different times, the single storey building between 1845 and 1861, and the two storey building between 1861 and 1867. They were linked some time between 1885 and 1905. See report for full details.


Kaminski, T., 2003, Demolition of Industrial Buildings and Change of Use from Builders Merchants to Dwellings. (Planning Application). SDV351160.

2003 planning application plans and associated papers regarding proposed demolition of industrial buildings and development of site for residential use, including conversion of listed building to nine dwellings.


Freeman, M., 2005, The Tavistock Foundries, Part 1. (Pamphlet). SDV344999.

The illustration shows one of the surviving buildings of the Higher Foundry as it appears now, after conversion to housing. Once it was the smith's shop and contained a range of forges.


Wessex Archaeology, 2006, Mount Foundry, Tavistock, Devon. Building Recording, 5-8; figures 3-4; plates 1-6 (Report - non-specific). SDV347975.

The northern single storey part of the listed building is earlier than the southern two storey part. It is first shown in a lease of 1861 and labelled as a fitting shop. The two storey part is first shown on a map of 1867, and is labelled as an erecting shop on a plan attached to a lease of 1897. See report for full details.


Wessex Archaeology, 2007, Site of the Former Mount Foundry and Tavistock Foundry, Tavistock, Devon. Archaeological Assessment Report and Updated Project Design, 7, 20, 37-40; figure 1 (Report - non-specific). SDV347973.

The building recording showed that the listed building was originally built as two separate buildings, between the 1840s and 1860s, and were joined with a covered way circa 1898, when the worsted factory was created.


Freeman, M., 2007, The Tavistock Foundries, Part 2. (Pamphlet). SDV345001.

A plan with the lease in 1896 (possibly a copy of one made in 1881) shows that in the last phase of the foundry, the sheds by the Millbrook, were the pattern-shop and brass foundry, while the smith's shop was to the north of the yard. The eastern building by the road was the erecting shed, with a fitting shop behind it. After the extensive rebuilding by the woollen mill, the only parts of the foundry that survived were the sheds by the Millbrook and those by the eastern entrance.


Wessex Archaeology, 2008, Mount Foundry, Tavistock: An Early 19th Century Iron and Brass Foundry in West Devon, 17; figures 1, 4, 17 (Report - non-specific). SDV351156.

Various changes were made to the surviving buildings circa 1898, when they were converted to a wool store and wool combing factory. These include the blocking of windows and creation of doorways, the addition of roof ventilators and the creation of the covered way to link the two buildings. An elevator tower on the west side, adjacent to the covered way, may have also been added at this time.


Trevarthen, M., 2009, Mount Foundry, Tavistock. An Early 19th Century Iron and Brass Foundry in West Devon, 241-242 (Article in Serial). SDV344802.

Single storey former fitting shop and two storey erecting shed which were once part of Mount Foundry. The fitting shop is first shown on a lease map of 1861 and various changes were made to the building when it was converted to a wool store circa 1898. The erecting shed was built between 1864 and 1867 and like the fitting shop changes were made when the site became a wool combing factory. It has inserted wooden first and second floors of the early and late 20th century respectively.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

No 41a Parkwood Road (north side), Kaminski's Storehouse. Early 19th century. Built as Gill and Rundles' foundry and later became a wool combing factory. Two storeys stone rubble with granite dressings. Slate roof. Eight round-headed windows and elliptical entrance arch to east. To west, one storey stone extension. Three round-headed arches in gable including huge blocked central one with keystone. Included for industrial historical interest as probably the oldest foundry in Tavistock.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV344802Article in Serial: Trevarthen, M.. 2009. Mount Foundry, Tavistock. An Early 19th Century Iron and Brass Foundry in West Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 67. Paperback Volume. 241-242.
SDV344999Pamphlet: Freeman, M.. 2005. The Tavistock Foundries, Part 1.. A4 Folded.
SDV345001Pamphlet: Freeman, M.. 2007. The Tavistock Foundries, Part 2.. A4 Folded.
SDV347973Report - non-specific: Wessex Archaeology. 2007. Site of the Former Mount Foundry and Tavistock Foundry, Tavistock, Devon. Archaeological Assessment Report and Updated Project Design. Wessex Archaeology Report. 63995.01. A4 Stapled + Digital. 7, 20, 37-40; figure 1.
SDV347975Report - non-specific: Wessex Archaeology. 2006. Mount Foundry, Tavistock, Devon. Building Recording. Wessex Archaeology Report. 63990.02. A4 Stapled + Digital. 5-8; figures 3-4; plates 1-6.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #105118 ]
SDV348734Report - Evaluation: Warren, S.. 2002. Evaluation. Listed Foundry Building. Parkwood Road, Tavistock. A4 Grip Bound + Digital.
SDV351156Report - non-specific: Wessex Archaeology. 2008. Mount Foundry, Tavistock: An Early 19th Century Iron and Brass Foundry in West Devon. Wessex Archaeology Report. 63996.01. A4 Bound + Digital. 17; figures 1, 4, 17.
SDV351160Planning Application: Kaminski, T.. 2003. Demolition of Industrial Buildings and Change of Use from Builders Merchants to Dwellings.. West Devon Borough Council. A4 Unbound + Digital.
SDV358889Plan - measured: Barclay, G. S.. 2002. Conversion of Redundant Warehouse Buildings at Kaminski's Garden Centre, Parkwood Road, Tavistock. Architect's Drawings. A1 Folded.

Associated Monuments

MDV4093Part of: Mount Foundry, Tavistock (Monument)
MDV78213Part of: Woollen Mill, Parkwood Road,Tavistock (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4807 - Archaeological Investigations at Mount Foundry, Tavistock
  • EDV5425 - Building Recording at Mount Foundry
  • EDV5719 - Evaluation of Foundry Building, Parkwood Road, Tavistock

Date Last Edited:Aug 6 2015 2:32PM