HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78300
Name:St. Andrews School, Chardstock

Summary

Village school originally built in 1839 and enlarged in 1853 and 1875. It operated at one time as an industrial school and a private college. Of local stone with Ham stone dressings under steeply pitched slate roofs.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 309 044
Map Sheet:ST30SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishChardstock
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCHARDSTOCK

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 87763

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SCHOOL (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Devon County Council, 1997-2002, Buildings at Risk Survey in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills AONB (Un-published). SDV344048.

19th century school with interesting history involving a period as an industrial school and part of the school being operated as a private college. Constructed of local stone with Ham stone dressings, under steeply pitched slate roofs. Single storey centre with a two storey central porch flanked by two tall windows all with coped gables over, left hand wing is the two storey headmasters house with an oriel window over the road, right hand wing is a two storey schoolroom, further wings to the rear. To the rear is the two storey college building. The school forms a composition with St. Andrew's Church and The old Rectory. The school is still in use as a church of England Primary School but the college is not used by the school and is vacant and in poor conditon. Discussions to be had with owners and governors to try and find an alternative use for the building. Risk level 3. Other details: Photos.


Fisher, J., 1999, East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Chardstock, 4-5, 7, 10 (Report - non-specific). SDV346476.

Opposite the church is St Andrew's School (1850, enlarged 1885). This is a substantial and cohesive group consisting of a large hall to the rear and including the former school house. There are attractive gables, and projecting wings, one with an oriel. Other details: Maps, photographs.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

St. Andrews School. Village school, formerly industrial school. The original school built in 1839 enlarged 1853/6 and 1875. Dated 1853. Formerly St Andrews College and Industrial Schools founded by Rev C Woodcock. Knapped flint with freestone dressings. Steeply pitched slate roof with stone coping and finials to gable ends. E-shaped on plan with parallel ranges at the rear. Single storey centre with two storeyed projecting porch with shaped gable, four centred arch doorway with carved spandrels, hood mould and ribbon band above. To left and right of porch tall rectangular windows in shaped gables. Flanking wings: right hand school room, one storey and attic with shouldered arch doorway facing the forecourt. Left hand master's house, two storeys, with four centred arch porch in the angle and stone oriel in the gable end to road. Left hand (west) return, gable end of hall has pair of perpendicular windows and cusped rose window above. At the rear (north) a long parallel range, two storeys, stone mullion transom windows, two centred arch doorways and buttresses with set offs. Further ranges to the north have been demolished. Date listed: 19th October 1984.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #105190 ]
SDV344048Un-published: Devon County Council. 1997-2002. Buildings at Risk Survey in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills AONB. Buildings at Risk Survey in the Devon Part of the Blackdown Hills AONB. Mixed Archive Material + Digital.
SDV346476Report - non-specific: Fisher, J.. 1999. East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Chardstock. East Devon District Council. A4 Stapled + Digital. 4-5, 7, 10.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4654 - Buildings at Risk Re-Survey

Date Last Edited:Jul 13 2015 10:19AM