HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78313
Name:Former Field Boundary at The Chanter's House

Summary

Field boundary shown on early 19th century maps, removed during the second half of the century, and reinstated as a metal fence in the early 20th century for a limited period.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 096 956
Map Sheet:SY09NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishOttery St. Mary
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishOTTERY ST.MARY

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FIELD BOUNDARY (Unknown date)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

Map object based on this Source.


Southwest Archaeology, 2009, The Chanter's House Ottery, St Mary, Devon: Results of Archaeological Monitoring and Evaluation, 2008, 6-8 (Report - Evaluation). SDV345076.

Two linear features were identified at the eastern end of trench 3, both roughly parallel to each other and trending north-east to south-west. The western of the two was up to 1 metre wide and only 0.1 metre deep with a flat bottom, and is likely to represent the truncated base of a ditch. The eastern of the two was similar in character, consisting of a shallow ditch up to 1.35 metres wide and 0.12 metres deep with a concave profile. During archaeological monitoring of the strip of proposed driveway between trenches 3 and 4, a continuation of one or both of these features was observed. They appear to follow the line of a boundary present on the Ordnance Survey surveyor's draft map of 1806-7 and the Tithe Map of 1840, dividing the closes belonging to The Chanter's House (then Heath Court) from the meadows to the west. This boundary is not shown on the Ordnance Survey map of 1888, but had been reinstated by 1903. Pieces of iron post were found in the topsoil along the line of this boundary, suggesting that the reinstated boundary took the form of metal fencing. The posts looked similar to those forming part of extant fencing to the south-west in a boundary running along the same line. Other details: Figures 3-7, Plates 3-4.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Map object based on this Source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV345076Report - Evaluation: Southwest Archaeology. 2009. The Chanter's House Ottery, St Mary, Devon: Results of Archaeological Monitoring and Evaluation, 2008. Southwest Archaeology Report. 090924. A4 stapled + Digital. 6-8.

Associated Monuments

MDV10322Related to: The Chanter's House, Ottery St Mary (Building)

Associated Finds

  • FDV1703 - TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1750 AD)
  • FDV1704 - TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1750 AD)
  • FDV1702 - SHERD (XVIII - 1701 AD to 1800 AD)

Associated Events

  • EDV4873 - Evaluation of Line of Proposed Driveway at The Chanter's House, Ottery St Mary, Devon

Date Last Edited:Sep 10 2010 12:08PM