HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV7843
Name:Brook House, manor house in West Buckfastleigh

Summary

Former Manor House dated 1656. Three storeys, now L-shaped on plan but originally E-shaped. The west (left hand) coving burnt down in the 19th century. Richard Cabell who was Lord of the Manor of Brook lived here and was a man of very ill repute and the subject of local legend. It is said that on the night of his death (allegedly 1677) black hounds, breathing fire and smoke, raced over Dartmoor and surrounded Brook Manor House, howling. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle based "Hounds of the Baskervilles" on this legend.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 713 676
Map Sheet:SX76NW
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishWest Buckfastleigh
DistrictSouth Hams
Ecclesiastical ParishBUCKFASTLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX76NW/44
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MANOR HOUSE (Built, XVII - 1635 AD to 1675 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

Late 19th century historic map depicts 'Brook House (remains of Manor House)'.


Copeland, G. W., 1936-1937, Some Devon Gatehouses and Porches, 73 (Article in Serial). SDV309451.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1960, SX76NW9 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV157826.

(27/5/1960) E-shaped house but the west wing was demolished early in the last century. It was then the seat of the Earl of Macclesfield who also made considerable alterations to the east wing. The southern porch incorporates a date stone inscribed 1656 and there are mullioned windows in the ground floor of the south front of the house. The east wing has modern windows but retains hood-moulds of earlier windows and a 17th century porch.


Department of Environment, 1986, West Buckfastleigh, 81 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV347601.

Former manor house. Dated 1656. Stone rubble, partly slate hung and partly rendered. Bituminised turned slate roof with gabled ends. Three storeys.
Now L-shaped on plan originally E-shaped but west (left hand) coving burnt down in the 19th century. The west wing (the original central range) has three-storied gabled porch to right of centre with round arched doorway and hood moulds over first and blocked second floor windows. Datestone 1656 over first floor window. To left two four-light chamfered wooden mullion windows to hall and horizontally sliding sashes above with glazing bars. Second floor blank. Large rendered external chimney stack on rear wall. South east wing projecting on right hand has slate hung west side and lean-to along ground floor. The east side of south east wing was remodelled in circa early 19th century to form principal front. Two storeys and attic. Five bays. First floor slate-hung. Ground floor two-light sashes with glazing bars and first floor two-light casements. Both ground and first floor windows have dripmoulds. Four 19th century gabled attic dormers. Central two storey gabled porch with round arch doorway.
Interior: original inner door (of west wing) has heavy moulded doorframe with carved steps and moulded and panelled door with wrought iron door knocker inscribed RC 1656 (RC initials for Richard Cabell). Large newel staircase to right of screens passage. Fireplace on rear wall of former hall to left of screens passage, has chamfered granite jambs and wooden lintel with ovolo moulding with gem-cut steps. Heavily moulded doorframes with carved steps. Richard Cabell was Lord of the Manor of Brook.


Agricultural Development Advisory Service, 1995, Farm recording sheet (Report - Survey). SDV360053.

Visited 22/02/1995.


Ordnance Survey, 2017, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV359962.

Unchanged from the late 19th century historic map depiction.


Historic England, 2017, National Heritage List for England, Accessed 10/02/2017 (National Heritage List for England). SDV359963.

WEST BUCKFASTLEIGH SX 76 NW - 4/142 Brook Manor House - - II*
Former Manor House. Dated 1656. Stone rubble, partly slate hung and partly rendered. Bituminised turned slate roof with gabled ends. Three storeys.
Now L-shaped on plan originally E-shaped but west (left hand) coving burnt down in C19. The West wing (the original central range) has three-storeyed gabled porch to right of centre with round arched doorway and hood moulds over first and blocked second floor windows. Datestone 1656 over first floor window. To left two four- light chamfered wooden mullion windows to hall and horizontally sliding sashes above with glazing bars. Second floor blank. Large rendered external chimney stack on rear wall. South east wing projecting on right hand has slate hung west side and lean-to along ground floor. The east side of south east wing was remodelled in circa early C19 to form principal front. Two storeys and attic. Five bays. First floor slate hung. Ground floor two-light sashes with glazing bars and first floor four two-light casements. Both ground and first floor windows have dripmoulds. Four C19 gabled attic dormers. Central two storey gabled porch with round arch doorway.
Interior: Original inner door (of west wing) has heavy moulded doorframe with carved steps and moulded and panelled door with wrought iron door knocker inscribed RC 1656 (RC initials for Richard Cabell). Large newel staircase to right of screens passage. Fireplace on rear wall of former hall to left of screens passage, has chamfered granite jambs and wooden lintel with ovolo moulding with gem-cut steps. Heavily moulded doorframes with carved steps.
Richard Cabell was Lord of the Manor of Brook. He was a man of very ill repute and the subject of a local legend. It is said that on the night of his death (allegedly 1677) black hounds, breathing fire and smoke, raced over Dartmoor and surrounded Brook Manor House, howling. He is buried at Holy Trinity Church, Church Hill, Buckfastleigh Teignbridge District qv and his tomb in the churchyard was designed to imprison his remains and prevent his haunting the neighbourhood. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle based "Hounds of the Baskervilles" on this legend.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV157826Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1960. SX76NW9. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV309451Article in Serial: Copeland, G. W.. 1936-1937. Some Devon Gatehouses and Porches. Plymouth Institution and Devon and Cornwall Natural History Society. 18. Unknown. 73.
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV347601List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1986. West Buckfastleigh. Historic Houses Register. A4 Single Sheet. 81.
SDV359962Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #105307 ]
SDV359963National Heritage List for England: Historic England. 2017. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Digital. Accessed 10/02/2017.
SDV360053Report - Survey: Agricultural Development Advisory Service. 1995. Farm recording sheet. Agricultural Development Advisory Service. Unknown.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 10 2017 4:40PM