HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78501
Name:Warehouse, Middle Dock

Summary

Nineteenth century warehouse used for construction of military launches during World War II.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 464 300
Map Sheet:SS43SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNortham
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTHAM

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WAREHOUSE (XIX to World War II - 1855 AD to 1945 AD (Between))

Full description

Godfrey, E., 2010, Listing Advice Report (Un-published). SDV346328.

Middle Dock warehouse, boundary wall and quay wall. Not recommended for listing.
The original appearance of the warehouse was extremely plain, lacking any architectural presence or decorative interest; due to changing use it now looks very different from when it was first built. Any features which might have been indicative of the precise way in which the building was used have been obscured, through alterations to the openings, through the loss of the floors and any internal partitions, and through the demolition of the eastern elevation; a possible exception is the taking-in door which formerly opened to the road from the western wall which does remain to give some sense of the process which once characterised the building, though this opening has now been filled. These alterations do not represent legible development within the building, through which its changing history might be understood, but have materially detracted from its interest. The difficulty encountered in ascertaining the warehouse's later phases of use is partly due to the fact that none of these phases has left any identifiable trace in the fabric.
The warehouse, quay wall and boundary wall form a group which is of some interest in an area where traces of the former industrial heritage are relatively scarce. However, the structures do not form a group unified by date or style, through which a defined industrial process can be read, and are not of national historical interest, whilst the principal structure - the warehouse - does not possess the architectural interest which might otherwise justify a place on the statutory list.


Godfrey, E., 2010, Warehouse, Boundary Wall and Quay Wall, New Quay Street (E), Northam (Un-published). SDV345423.

Warehouse and attached boundary wall were built as additions to an existing quayside development between 1855 and 1889. The western wall of the warehouse was built on top of the boundary wall.
The warehouse is of roughly coursed local sandstone rubble, with timber lintels to the windows and some brick arches to window and door openings. The original king-post timber roof structure is clad in blue slate. A small penthouse structure has been inserted in the north-facing slope. The three-storey building is roughly rectangular in plan. The western wall, which is built up from the boundary wall, is slightly canted, following the shape of the wall. A taking-in door in the upper part of this wall has been filled with concrete blocks. The south elevation, currently partially obscured by sand, is five bays wide, with windows in the upper two storeys and a round-arched door opening visible to right. This elevation shows evidence of attached structures - shown on the 1904 Ordnance Survey map - which have been removed. The north elevation contains a number of door and window openings of different dates and at different levels, several of which have been blocked. The eastern end of this elevation is obscured by a tall 20th century corrugated iron structure. The eastern wall of the building has been removed, leaving only narrow stone piers to either side of the elevation. The roof structure at this end of the building is supported by a timber cross frame. The two internal floors and any internal partitions have been romoved. The ends of may of the floor joists remain embedded in the walls. Concrete-block piers rise to first-floor level against the internal walls of the building. A 20th century concrete-block wall coninuting the line of the northern wall eastwares is a fragment of a former extension to the building.
It is said that during World War II the warehouse was used in the construction of high-speed motor launches for military use. Thereafter, a corn mill operated on the site, and the warehouse is thought to have been used for grain storage. It has served as a storage area for sand and gravel since the 1970s, and it was probably to facilitate this function theat the eastern elevation and internal floors were removed.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV345423Un-published: Godfrey, E.. 2010. Warehouse, Boundary Wall and Quay Wall, New Quay Street (E), Northam. English Heritage Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV346328Un-published: Godfrey, E.. 2010. Listing Advice Report. English Heritage Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV43301Part of: Middle Dock, Appledore (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4930 - Site Inspection, Middle Dock

Date Last Edited:Jan 21 2011 11:51AM