HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78503
Name:Middle Dock Boundary Wall

Summary

Nineteenth century boundary wall, possibly incorporating earlier fabric.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 464 300
Map Sheet:SS43SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishNortham
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishNORTHAM

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • WALL (XIX - 1855 AD to 1889 AD (Between))

Full description

Godfrey, E., 2010, Listing Advice Report (Un-published). SDV346328.

Not recommended for listing.
The boundary wall which separates the site from New Quay Street also dates from the later 19th century, having been constructed shortly before the warehouse. The structure has been subject to extensive repairs and possibly rebuilding during its relatively short history, and is of no intrinsic design or historical interest. The western edge of New Quay Street is defined by the retaining wall of the western hill slope; the height of these opposing walls creates an enclosed approach to Appledore from the south, which is valued locally. However, this local interest is not of a nature that can be protected by statutory designation, but might more appropriately be reflected by a local designation.


Godfrey, E., 2010, Warehouse, Boundary Wall and Quay Wall, New Quay Street (E), Northam (Un-published). SDV345423.

Wall forming the western boundary of Middle Dock. Built between 1855 and 1889. Beyond the north end of the wall is the entrance to the dockyard. At its southern end, the wall curves eastwards, forming the northern wall of a slipway. Approximately 96 metres long, the wall is built of local sandstone, the quality and coursing of the stonework differing from one stretch of wall to another. The hieght also varies; at some points it reaches almost three metres above road level. The variation in materials and quality of build appears to be due to the wall having been subject to extensive repairs and possibly partial reconstruction, whilst sections of older wall may have been incorporated. One section, forming part of and stretching northwards from the western wall of the warehouse (Monument 78501), is of particularly rough stonework. This may be part of a pre-1855 wall, which formerly acted as a retaining wall before the excavation of the road to the west, and which was therefore not fair-faced. There is a small window openining in this section, to the north of the warehouse. Towards the south end of the wall is a narrow pedestrian doorway. The northern end of the wall has been demolished, and replaced by the outer wall of a later building.


University of Southampton, 2018, North Devon Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment, 36 (Interpretation). SDV361978.

Nineteenth century boundary wall, possibly incorporating earlier fabric.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV345423Un-published: Godfrey, E.. 2010. Warehouse, Boundary Wall and Quay Wall, New Quay Street (E), Northam. English Heritage Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV346328Un-published: Godfrey, E.. 2010. Listing Advice Report. English Heritage Report. A4 Stapled + Digital.
SDV361978Interpretation: University of Southampton. 2018. North Devon Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment Survey Desk-Based Assessment. RCZAS. Digital. 36.

Associated Monuments

MDV43301Part of: Middle Dock, Appledore (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV4930 - Site Inspection, Middle Dock

Date Last Edited:Jan 23 2019 8:02AM