HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78661
Name:The Priory, Halberton

Summary

Large detached house, formerly a priory. Mainly plastered cob under a modern slate roof. The earliest surviving work appears to be 16th century.

Location

Grid Reference:ST 007 130
Map Sheet:ST01SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishHalberton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishHALBERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II*): 95383

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PRIORY (XVI to XIX - 1501 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

The Priory. Large detached house; a small assembly or college of Augustinian canons was established here; it was dissolved in 1539 and the building converted into a dwelling; the earliest surviving work appears to be late 16th century, with later alterations. Mainly cob, plastered,with finely coursed sandstone front lateral stack; gabled end slate roof. Formerly a 3-room through-passage plan, with the lower end to the right of the passage; with rear and lower end extensions. The great front lateral stack with moulded string course and cap, and paired moulded set-offs, heats the hall; external end stack heats inner room; an external lateral rear stack with 2 set-offs heats lower end. The lower end extension is heated by an end stack, but there is evidence for the building having extended further along this axis. All stacks (except front) with brick shafts. 2-storeys throughout.
Front: 4-window range; a and 4-light window to either side of the stack at first floor level, each under a hood mould and separate gable in 2 and 3-light windows to either end; all with 19th century timber casements, each light under shallow arch; the 4-light window has latticed leading. Ground floor with 2-windows of 2-lights, 1 of 3, and 1 of 4, the 4-light window to hall 16th century with triple roll mouldings to stopped mullions and jambs, and leaf decoration in spandrels, each light under shallow arch. The other windows are 19th century but follow the pattern of the original albeit in a rather simplified form. All under hood moulds. Wide door to passage, planked and studded,
with chamfered surround. 2 triangular headed 3-light dormers, 19th century. The lower end extension has 2-light window to each floor; a projection forward, with slated set-off, could be the remnants of another front lateral external stack.
Rear: six 19th century casement windows; right hand end elevation, slate hung wall, with 2-light window, 19th century.
Interior: Inner room: intersecting beams with composite mouldings (cyma recta, ovolo and roll) forming a grid of 6 ceiling squares, with a deeply chamfered axial beam to rear; hall with elaborately moulded intersecting beams, composite mouldings carrying twisted leaf trails, reminiscent of Devon church screen work, and forming a grid of 9 ceiling squares; this motif appears on the cornice; joists with roll moulding, and butt stops; fireplace with small roll moulding to surround, the mantel shelf supported by a re-used cyma recta moulded timber. Plank and muntin screens survive to both sides of the through-passage; bressumers and muntins chamfered and with carpenter's mitres, the muntins with diagonal stops. Square headed door surrounds, 1 to hall, 3 to lower end; 2 original doors, with fleur-de-lis hinges, and 1 with primitive fielded panel. Passage floor flagged. 2 small service rooms lead off passage, both with 1 chamfered beam.
Roof: entirely replaced by a 19th century (or later) common rafter roof. Date listed: 24th October 1951.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #105503 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 28 2010 5:37PM