HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV7875
Name:Chapel of St. Lawrence, Ashburton

Summary

Chantry Chapel, converted to Grammar School 1593-1983. 13th century; tower added early 16th century; nave rebuilt mid 18th century; schoolrooms added late 19th century and 1911.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 757 698
Map Sheet:SX76NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishAshburton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHBURTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX76NE/19/1
  • Old Listed Building Ref (II)

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • CHANTRY CHAPEL (XII to XIII - 1200 AD to 1299 AD (Between))
  • SCHOOL (Altered, XII to XIV - 1200 AD to 1314 AD (Between))
  • GRAMMAR SCHOOL (Altered, XVI to XX - 1593 AD to 1983 AD (Between))

Full description

White, 1890, Devonshire Directory, 108 (Unknown). SDV350487.

St. Lawrence. 14th century now used as grammar school. The grammar school founded by Bishop Stapledon in 1314 was held in the Chapel of St. Lawrence. This chapel was purchased from the Crown and afterwards, in 1594, vested in trustees to be used as a schoolhouse, and as a place for holding the manor courts.


Anonymous, 1897, Report of the Council, 16 (Article in Serial). SDV296359.


Kelly, 1910, Directory of Devonshire, 35 (Unknown). SDV296358.


Amery, J. S., 1924, (Presidential Address) The Ashburton of past days: its manners, customs and inhabitants, 58-59 (Article in Serial). SDV315287.

The school house is on the site of the ancient chapel of St. Laurence, associated with Bishop Stapledon's Guild of St. Lawrence, consisting of the portreeve and burgesses.


Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division, 1951, SX76NE9 (Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card). SDV296362.

The tower stands at the south-west end of the 17th century school building, which is now used partly as a town library and partly for the holding of the traditional port leat courts, and no longer used as a grammar school. Ashburton Grammar School tower built by Bishop Stapledon in 1314, rebuilt about two centuries later. It later became a free school and a large hall was added to the east of the tower.


Satterly, J., 1952, Memories of Ashburton in late Victorian Days, 22,29 (Article in Serial). SDV315139.

Plaster coat of arms of Ashburton in the Great Hall. There was also a small classroom in the tower itself and in the 1890's a science room was added to the east of the hall. The court leet used to meet anually in the hall till 1894.


THE PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL, 1970, St. Andrew's Church, Ashburton, 6 (Leaflet). SDV296291.


Department of Environment, 1973, Ashburton, 36 (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV300597.

School was kept by chantry priest and refounded as a grammar school in 1593. The school room is an 18th century building behind the tower. Stone rectangular building with classical cornice and many later additions. Three round headed windows each side.
Interior: 18th century plasterwork including cornice and arms of town and benefactors. 18th/19th century woodwork and gallery.


English Heritage, 2014, National Heritage List for England (National Heritage List for England). SDV355683.

SX7569 ST LAWRENCE LANE 849-1/10/168 (East side) 07/08/51 Chapel of St Lawrence (Formerly Listed as: ST LAWRENCE LANE (East side) St Lawrence's Tower, Old Grammar School) - GV II*
Chantry Chapel, converted to Grammar School 1593-1983. C13; tower added early C16; nave rebuilt mid C18; schoolrooms added late C19 and 1911. Solid rendered walls; tower has buttresses, quoins and parapets of exposed granite. Late C19 schoolroom in limestone with red-brick dressings. 1911 schoolroom in limestone and granite. Slated roofs. Nave, W tower. Late C19 schoolroom at E end 1911 schoolrooms on S side. 3-stage tower with setback buttresses; NW stair turret. Pointed-arched W doorway with half-round and hollow mouldings; above it a 3-light window with 4-centred arch, the lights with cinquefoiled heads. Second stage has single-light windows with segmental arches; similar 2-light belfry openings in third stage. Parapet with battlements and finials. Small spire with weather-vane. Nave has on each side 3 round-arched windows with glazing-bars; heavily-moulded eaves-cornice. East wall (covered by late C19 schoolroom) has a blocked triple-lancet window. Late C19 schoolroom has pointed-arched windows with glazing-bars. 1911 schoolroom is in a version of the Tudor style with plain mullioned windows. Interior: nave has good rococo plasterwork: coats-of-arms on the walls in foliated surrounds, cornice with pendants. W gallery with C18 turned balusters. Around the walls, school benches with Gothic panelled fronts. The chapel was given to the Guild of St Lawrence, Ashburton, by Bishop Stapledon of Exeter in 1314. The chantry priest appears to have kept a school here and still did so when the chantry was dissolved in 1546. The maintenance of the school was a condition of the grant of 1593 to John Caunter and others. (Dartmoor National Park: The Chapel of St Lawrence, Ashburton (leaflet): 1988-).
Listing NGR: SX7571369846


Ordnance Survey, 2015, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV357601.

Depicted on the modern mapping.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV296291Leaflet: THE PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCIL. 1970. St. Andrew's Church, Ashburton. Unknown. Unknown. 6.
SDV296358Unknown: Kelly. 1910. Directory of Devonshire. Directory. Unknown. 35.
SDV296359Article in Serial: Anonymous. 1897. Report of the Council. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 29. Unknown. 16.
SDV296362Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card: Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division. 1951. SX76NE9. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Card. Card Index.
SDV300597List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: Department of Environment. 1973. Ashburton. Historic Houses Register. A4 Spiral Bound. 36.
SDV315139Article in Serial: Satterly, J.. 1952. Memories of Ashburton in late Victorian Days. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 84. Unknown. 22,29.
SDV315287Article in Serial: Amery, J. S.. 1924. (Presidential Address) The Ashburton of past days: its manners, customs and inhabitants. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 56. Unknown. 58-59.
SDV350487Unknown: White. 1890. Devonshire Directory. Unknown. 108.
SDV355683National Heritage List for England: English Heritage. 2014. National Heritage List for England. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV357601Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2015. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #105572 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV29229Related to: 17 St Lawrence Lane, Ashburton (Building)
MDV119855Related to: Baptist Chapel on Woodland Road, Ashburton (Building)
MDV23264Related to: Gates and wall of Grammar School, Ashburton (Monument)
MDV7874Related to: St. Lawrence's Chapel, Ashburton (Building)
MDV13602Related to: The Old Court House (Lambel's Cottage), Ashburton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 16 2018 3:11PM