HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78859
Name:24 Bridgeland Street

Summary

Late 17th century house with 19th century alterations.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 453 267
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 375753

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (XVII to XX - 1692 AD to 1901 AD (Between))

Full description

Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 92 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.


Torridge District Council, 2003, Bideford Townscape Heritage Initiative Stage 2 Bid, 10 (Un-published). SDV345899.

The use of mathematical tiling on numbers 24-26 apes the few remaining brick elevations that originally must have dominated Bridgeland Street in the late 17th century.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

24 Bridgeland Street (formerly Listed as: Nos.24-26 (Consecutive)).
House, now solicitors' offices. Probably 1692, almost wholly altered in early or mid 19th century and circa 1900. Solid walls, probably of brick with some stone; front clad with circa 1900 mathematical tiles, rear walls rendered. Slate roofs; rear slope of main range and whole of rear wing tarred. Old red-brick chimneys, the upper courses projecting to form entablatures, at right-hand end of ridge and over rear wall of left-hand front room; rendered chimney on right wall of wing. Two-room-wide-plan with entrance-passage in centre of ground storey; latter leads to staircase in lean-to (probably added in 19th century or circa 1900) which extends across the whole rear of building; 2 rooms deep wing (of at least early or mid 18th century) on right.
Two storeys, with attic in main building; 3-window range. Doorway flanked by attached, plain-shafted Doric columns supporting entablature; 6-panelled door in moulded architrave. Above the entablature a flattened bow window with triple sashes, raised strapwork on base, 6-paned sashes in centre and 4-paned outer ones; top entablature surmounted by patterned iron cresting. Doorcase is early or mid 19th century; bow window similar, though probably a slightly later addition. Outer windows segmental-headed; 8-paned sashes in ground storey, 6-paned ones above. Raised band over each storey. Deep moulded eaves-cornice broken by 3 gabled dormers; windows have 6-paned Yorkshire sashes, plain stone shields in the apexes of gables and ball-finials on top. Rear wall has staircase window with coloured glass. Wing has mostly 4-paned sashes with horns, probably of circa 1900, but right-hand ground-storey window has early or mid 19th century triple sash with 8-paned sashes in centre flanked by 2-paned sashes.
Interior: detail mostly early or mid 19th century, but with some work probably of circa 1900, particularly the staircase, ground-floor front and first-floor left front chimneypieces. Inner front door half-glazed with 2 solid moulded panels below and 4 glazed panels above; surround filled with coloured glass.
Entrance-passage floor has coloured patterned tiles. The 2 ground-floor front rooms have 19th century panelled shutters and moulded cornices; right-hand room has panelled dado, left-hand room only the dado-rail. Carved wood chimneypieces in circa 1700 style; that in left-hand room has original cast-iron grate. Wooden open-well staircase with turned balusters and newels.
First-floor left-hand front room has chimneypieces like that on the floor below. Right-hand front room has single early or mid 19th century marble chimneypiece. First-floor front room of wing has early or mid 18th century window-shutters with one-fillet ovolo-moulded, raised-and-fielded panels; cupboard with ovolo-moulded panelled doors on H-hinges. Left-hand attic room has small 19th century cast-iron chimneypiece and grate. In backyard a pump with old iron pipe.
This was Bideford Bridge Trust property, first leased to Samuel Curtise of Bideford, mason, on 29.12.1692, the house then 'being built and well nigh finished'. The dormers with ball-finials are shown in a photograph of Bridgeland Street dating from before 1869, but the mathematical tiling is more likely to date from about 1900. Nos 25-26, which have the same tiling, were reconstructed by the architect, G Malam Wilson, between 1899 and 1901.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 92.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #105667 ]
SDV345899Un-published: Torridge District Council. 2003. Bideford Townscape Heritage Initiative Stage 2 Bid. Torridge District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 10.

Associated Monuments

MDV73292Part of: Bridgeland Street, Bideford (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jan 22 2015 12:45PM