HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78878
Name:Market Place, High Street

Summary

The point at which Mill Street and Allhalland Street meet the High Street is reputed to be that of a medieval public open space, perhaps a market place where the town's pillory was located. Records exist from 1400 of a dwelling located at the corner of High Street and Mylstret (Mill Street), which was occupied by a merchant involved in the cloth trade.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 454 265
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses: none recorded

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MARKET PLACE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD (Between))

Full description

Torridge District Council, Bideford Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Action Plan for 1996-1999, 12 (Un-published). SDV345901.

The point at which Mill Street and Allhalland Street meet the High Street is reputed to be that of a medieval public open space, perhaps a market place where the town's pillory was located. Records exist from 1400 of a dwelling located at the corner of High Street and Mylstret (Mill Street), which was occupied by a merchant involved in the cloth trade.

Torridge District Council, Bideford Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme. Implementation Programme 1999-2002, 3 (Un-published). SDV345902.

Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 92, 95 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.

By the start of the 18th century a market place had been set up on level ground to the south of High Street and directly accessible from Bideford Bridge up Bridge Street. In the early 18th century the customs house stood in its centre.
The pattern of a market square tends to confirm the theory of the removal of the market from High Street, but it may also be suggested that the High Street did not become the focus of trade before the proper construction of the quay. At present it can only be stated that there were, in the 18th- and 19th centuries, two separate trading areas, and the question of which represents the medieval market area must be left open.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 92, 95.
SDV345901Un-published: Torridge District Council. Bideford Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Action Plan for 1996-1999. Torridge District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 12. [Mapped feature: #105686 ]
SDV345902Un-published: Torridge District Council. Bideford Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme. Implementation Programme 1999-2002. Torridge District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 3.

Associated Monuments

MDV78883Related to: Market Building, Market Place, Bideford (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Oct 3 2019 12:56PM