HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78883
Name:Market Building, Market Place, Bideford

Summary

Late 19th century pannier market on site of earlier market.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 452 264
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 375875

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • MARKET HALL (XIX - 1883 AD to 1884 AD (Between))

Full description

Torridge District Council, Bideford Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Action Plan for 1996-1999, 15 (Un-published). SDV345901.

Market House/Pannier Market built in 1883-4. Repairs and improvements carried out in 1994/5.


Devon County Council, 1975, Bideford Town Trail, 78 (Article in Monograph). SDV352469.


Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 92, 95 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.

By the start of the 18th century a market place had been set up on level ground to the south of High Street and directly accessible from Bideford Bridge up Bridge Street. In the early 18th century the customs house stood in its centre.
The pattern of a market square tends to confirm the theory of the removal of the market from High Street, but it may also be suggested that the High Street did not become the focus of trade before the proper construction of the quay. At present it can only be stated that there were, in the 18th- and 19th centuries, two separate trading areas, and the question of which represents the medieval market area must be left open.


Timms, S. C., 1976, The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft, 92, 95-6 (Report - Survey). SDV341346.

The earliest market places were probably located in the High Street and along the river front, on the site of the later quay. However, by the beginning of the 18th century an additional market place had been set up on level ground to the south of High Street, directly accessible from Bideford Bridge.


Yeatman, M., 1990, Stalling for Time on Market Day (Article in Serial). SDV354508.

If it had not been listed in time, the pannier market would have come down, instead rents were raised and the extension of its uses considered. Work is to begin on the electrics, windows, roof and doors, in order for the hall to hold fee paying functions when not being used by traders.

Building opened in 1884.

The pannier market deserves a few favours. Eight or nine years ago, the old clock on the wall, over by the office, was found to be worth a few quid and removed to the courtroom.


Torridge District Council, 2009, Bideford Conservation Area Appraisal, 11, 18 (Report - non-specific). SDV351295.

At the northern end of Buttgarden Street is the large sloping square of the Market Place containing The Market House of 1883-4 by J Chudley of Newton Abbot, built for the Bideford Corporation at a cost of about £3000.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Market house. 1883-4. By J Chudley of Newton Abbot. Roughly-coursed stone rubble with dressings of red and cream brick, red terracotta and limestone. Slate roofs.
Plan: front range in east side with main entrance flanked by shops; the fish market and corn exchange seem to have been at either end originally. Behind and parallel to this runs a long corridor, open at each end, lined on both sides with small shops formerly used by butchers (two firms remain). Behind this again is the pannier market, described in 1889 as occupying '10,500 superficial feet'.
One storey; shops at the front with a low upper floor. East front is of dressed stone rubble, divided into 9 bays by cream-brick pilasters striped with red brick; below the capitals are red-terracotta panels moulded with flowers.
Pilasters support segmental red-brick arches, moulded on the underside and with scroll-keystones of limestone; middle arch, which forms the main entrance, is taller and round, finished above eaves-level with a stone gable having a terracotta finial. The edges of the gable and the corbel-tables under the eaves are of cream brick. Main entrance has patterned iron gates; fanlight with 3 upright glazing-bars. Shops (1 on each of the 4 bays flanking the entrance) have a display window on the side farthest from the entrance, canted on the near side towards the recessed shop-entrance. Display windows have angle-shafts with moulded caps and bases; double-doors with solid flush panels below, and round-headed glazed panels above, surmounted by tall 2-paned fanlights. Upper floors have fully-glazed display windows, each with 3 upright glazing-bars. The 4 outer bays contain windows with segmental red-brick arches matching those over the bays themselves. Each window has 4 lights with wooden mullions and transoms. Beneath the 2 right-hand windows and the second window from the left are a doorway and 2 shop windows; the former, half-glazed, occupies the second bay from the right and is probably original, but the latter are probably later insertions (that to left is late 20th century). In the gable over the main entrance is a weathered stone plaque with date and inscription. Side and rear elevations are plainer, though not without architectural character. Right-hand end of front range has a tall opening (now occupied by a shop front) with round red-brick arch, moulded on the underside and with plain keystone; above it a gable with cream-brick edges, the centre occupied by a round window with red-brick surround. Both ends of the butchery have similar arches, surmounted by plainer gables; patterned iron gates, 3-paned fanlight. Side-elevations have segmental-headed windows and doorways with red-brick arches, those on the Pannier Market linked at sill and springing-level by red-brick bands. Moulded red-brick eaves-cornice. Rear elevation is similar, but with 3 round-arched windows set in the ends of 3 gabled ranges: 2 tall gables with a shorter one in the centre. The middle window has original glazing-bars with moulded intersections. matching windows at the opposite end of the Pannier Market, just visible above the roof of the butchery.
Interior: the butchery origianlly had 12 shops on each side and most of these have survived intact; a larger shop at the north end of the west side is probably an amalgamation of 2 original shops. Each shop has either a 2-paned display window with a single upright glazing-bar or an opening closed by shutters; plank door to one side, the upper half opening separately from the lower. Above the whole shop an open grille with iron scrollwork. Cream-brick floor to passage between the shops. Above on each side a row of wood-framed trusses with upright glazing-bars and diagonal braces. Exposed roof-trusses with shaped braces to the tie-beams. Pannier Market has 5 roof-spans carried on hollow iron columns with moulded caps and bases, the second span from each end taller to allow for a range of windows on each side. Columns are moulded with the inscriptions TARDREW & SONS. IRONMONGERS & IRON FOUNDERS. BIDEFORD. 1883 and J.H. FOADEN. CONTRACTOR. ASHBURTON. The columns support wooden roof-trusses with raking struts from tie to principal; the 2 taller spans have arch-braces under the ties. Cream-brick floor. The market hall was built for Bideford Corporation at a cost of about £3000 and opened on 15 April 1884.


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV341346Report - Survey: Timms, S. C.. 1976. The Devon Urban Survey, 1976. First Draft. Devon Committee for Rescue Archaeology Report. A4 Unbound + Digital. 92, 95.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #105691 ]
SDV345901Un-published: Torridge District Council. Bideford Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Action Plan for 1996-1999. Torridge District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 15.
SDV351295Report - non-specific: Torridge District Council. 2009. Bideford Conservation Area Appraisal. Torridge District Council Planning Guidance. Digital. 11, 18.
SDV352469Article in Monograph: Devon County Council. 1975. Bideford Town Trail. Devon Town Trails: European Architectural Heritage Year. Paperback Volume. 78.
SDV354508Article in Serial: Yeatman, M.. 1990. Stalling for Time on Market Day. Weekend Guardian. Photocopy + Digital.

Associated Monuments

MDV78878Related to: Market Place, High Street (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Jun 28 2018 3:40PM