HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78890
Name:8, Lower Gunstone, Bideford

Summary

Bonded Store and Cottage. Early to mid 19th century warehouse and cottage.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 452 266
Map Sheet:SS42NE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishBideford
DistrictTorridge
Ecclesiastical ParishBIDEFORD

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 375860

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • BONDED WAREHOUSE (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Torridge District Council, Bideford Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Action Plan for 1996-1999, 24 (Un-published). SDV345901.

Considered to be 'seriously at risk' and identified as a target building.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

8, Lower Gunstone. Bonded store and Bond Cottage.
Bonded store and cottage. Early or mid 19th century. Stone-rubble front. Rendered side-wall to right. Slate roof, gable-end on to street. Red-brick chimney on ridge between store and cottage. Store occupies street-frontage with side-passage (probably a later insertion) under right-hand side. Cottage forms rear wing to left. 3 storeys with basement; 3-window range. Central opening in each storey a loading-door. All openings have segmental red-brick arches. In centre of ground storey studded double plank doors with painted inscription WICKHAM & CO LTD. BIDEFORD Number 1 BOND.
In front of it 2 old steps, one stone, one wood. Blocked opening to left, old plank door to right. Beneath the blocked opening the head of a blocked basement window with segmental stone arch. In upper storeys the loading doorways have studded plank doors; above the top one a projecting wooden beam and an iron hook for a hoist. Windows have plain wood frames with iron bars and wooden louvres.
Rear wall of cottage altered, but side-wall to passage has window with 8-paned sashes in a box-frame.
Interior not inspected, but passage under store has one end of a brick barrel-vault. The building is marked as owned by Thomas Wickham on Wood's 1842 Plan of Bideford.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV345901Un-published: Torridge District Council. Bideford Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Action Plan for 1996-1999. Torridge District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 24.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #105698 ]

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Sep 12 2012 4:22PM