HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV78920
Name:Woodside and Astolat, Western Road, Crediton

Summary

Pair of adjoining mid 19th century houses, two storeys, attic and basement. Return walls slate-hung, each with a pair of round-headed attic windows.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 826 004
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 387135

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SEMI DETACHED HOUSE (Mid, XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Mid Devon District Council, 2003, Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal, Section 2 (Report - non-specific). SDV345978.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Woodside and Astolat.
Pair of adjoining houses. Probably 1850s. Roughcast, return walls slate-hung; slate roof with sprocketted eaves; stacks with brick shaft and old pots.
Plan: Mirror plan houses, each with front doors to left and right.
Exterior: 2 storeys, attic and basement. 3:3 bay front, the centre bay broken forward. Deep eaves with eaves brackets, platbands at first floor level. Each house has steps up to a recessed 5-panel front door with panelled reveals and a plain overlight. Flat porch canopy on moulded consoles. Originally 12-pane 19th century sash windows to the ground and first floor in the centre bays only. Woodside has 20th century replaced windows, but respecting the original embrasures and the porch hood is missing. Attractive slate-hung returns, Astolat with a pair of round-headed attic windows. The wedge-shaped garden area in the front is bounded by ramped coped brick walls with
chamfered granite gate piers with pyramidal caps. These walls match those of Wistaria, the neighbouring house to the east.
Interior: Not inspected but likely to contain original features.
This is an attractive pair of smart 19th century town houses on the western edge of Crediton, combining polite detail with the Devon vernacular tradition of slate-hanging. The garden walls suggest that, like Wistaria, these houses were a development by Berry of Berry and Vincent, local builders who developed parts of the town in the 19th century (see also Grove Terrace and No 1 Church Street).


Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #105726 ]
SDV345978Report - non-specific: Mid Devon District Council. 2003. Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. Section 2.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Feb 5 2013 12:39PM