HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV78926
Name:Three Little Pigs, Parliament Street, Crediton


Pub built as part of an interesting circa 1836 planned development. Formerly known as Market House Inn.


Grid Reference:SS 832 004
Map Sheet:SS80SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishCrediton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishCREDITON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 387088

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • PUBLIC HOUSE (XIX - 1836 AD to 1836 AD (Between))

Full description

Mid Devon District Council, 2001, Crediton Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme, Figure 4 (Report - non-specific). SDV351389.

Considered a visually prominent building within the Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme.

Mid Devon District Council, 2003, Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal, Section 3 (Report - non-specific). SDV345978.

English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

The Three Little Pigs and attached stables. (Formerly Listed as: Market House Inn).
Public House including former stables at the rear. Circa 1836. Flemish bond brick, the rounded corners header bond, right return rendered; slate roof,gabled ends;end stacks with multiple shafts and old pots. Italianate style.
Plan: rectangular with rear right wing.
Exterior: Very complete. 3 storeys. Rear wing 2 storeys. Rounded front corners. 3-bay front plus 1-bay at the left end where a single storey block adjoins. 3 bays divided by pilasters. Platbands at first and second floor level. Central doorway with moulded consoles with a shallow porch hood; doorcase with panelled reveals. Recessed 4-panel door with an overlight with late 19th century leaded panes and stained glass. The right hand window and the window in the corner bay are framed as a pair by plain pilasters with a fascia and cornice. Both
are glazed with mid/late 19th century 4-pane sashes, the corner window curved with some damage to the brickwork below. All other
windows have chamfered embrasures and segmental arch heads, the timber segment panelled with a roundel. Ground floor window left is in a segmental arch headed recess and is a small-pane sash with margin panes and diagonal glazig bars in the upper corners. 3 first floor 9/6-pane sashes; 3 second floor 4/8-pane sashes. The single storey block at the left end has pilasters and a parapet; a half-glazed door to the left and a small-pane window alongside to the right. The right (east) return of the main block, which overlooks a lane between this building and Nos 2 and 3 Parliament Street is in a slightly plainer style. The first and second floor platbands are carried round with a platband at attic floor level. Central doorway with a doorcase with panelled pilasters, a cornice and panelled reveals. Recessed blocked 4-panel door with a blocked overlight. Windows have chamfered embrasures, matching those on the front: ground floor window right is a
round-headed small pane sash with spoke glazing bars. First floor centre window is blind with a segmental arch head, similar blind second floor window; blind round-headed window to the attic. The rear elevation preserves all its original sashes including a roundheaded stair window with spoke glazing bars. The rear wing has a rounded corner with corbelling above.
Stables at right angles to the rear (north) are 6-bay with a slate gabled roof and pierced ridge tiles. 2 stable doors with loft doors over, 2 ground floor windows and one window at each end. The rear elevation, overlooking the town car park (formerly a brick field) has 7 blind recesses on the ground floor, 2 blocked loft doors and 4 blind loft recesses.
Interior: Ground floor altered but features of interest may survive elsewhere. This building is part of an interesting circa1836 planned development which involved re-siting the market from the High Street and contemporary associated buildings surrounding it, including the Ship, shops in Market Street and this building.

Ordnance Survey, 2010, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV344030.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV344030Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2010. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #105732 ]
SDV345978Report - non-specific: Mid Devon District Council. 2003. Crediton Conservation Area Appraisal. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. Section 3.
SDV351389Report - non-specific: Mid Devon District Council. 2001. Crediton Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Grip Bound + Digital. Figure 4.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jun 12 2013 10:48AM