HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV79006
Name:Lamp Standard, Angel Hill, Tiverton

Summary

Lamp standard dated 1878, Gothic style cast-iron shaft with two large foliated scrolls carrying three lamps, standing on a four-tiered, chamfered stone plinth.

Location

Grid Reference:SS 953 125
Map Sheet:SS91SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishTiverton
DistrictMid Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishTIVERTON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 485191

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • LAMP POST (XIX - 1878 AD to 1878 AD (Between))

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1855-1895, First Edition 1:500 Town Map (Cartographic). SDV338879.

Location of lamp standard shown. Map object based on this Source.


Mid Devon District Council, 1995, Tiverton Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Preliminary Application, 8 (Un-published). SDV346055.

A splendid ornate Victorian lampstandard.


English Heritage, 2010, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV154869.

Angel Hill, Tiverton. Lamp standard on traffic island at junction with St Peter Street (Formerly Listed as: St. Peter Street, Tiverton.
Lamp stand on traffic island at junction with Angel Hill).
Includes: Lamp standard on traffic island at junction with St Peter Street Angel Hill.
Lamp standard. Dated 1878; by GS Bridgman. Cast-iron, standing on a four-tiered, chamfered stone plinth. The shaft is in Gothic style, consisting of two super-imposed sets of clustered columns with enriched capitals. From the upper of these spring two large foliated scrolls carrying three lamps; the latter have been renewed in late 20th century. The base, which is held together by an iron strap, is carved with the inscription: ERECTED BY J LANE ESQRE JP AD 1878. Below this in smaller letters is GS BRIDGMAN ARCH. Mr John Lane, a Tiverton draper, had been mayor in 1869. In that year he had paid for the new town hall clock, and in 1877 subscribed £1,000 towards the cost of the new Baptist chapel in Newport Street. The architect for the latter was GS Bridgman of Torquay.
A good example of its type, prominently situated in the historic town centre.


Ordnance Survey, 2012, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV348725.

Map object based on this Source.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV154869List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2010. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV338879Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1855-1895. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. First Edition 1:500 Town Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346055Un-published: Mid Devon District Council. 1995. Tiverton Conservation Area Partnership Scheme. Preliminary Application. Mid Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 8.
SDV348725Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2012. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).

Associated Monuments

MDV78990Part of: St. Peter Street, Tiverton (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:May 8 2014 1:40PM