HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV7908
Name:Plymouth Brethren Chapel in Foales' Court, North Street.

Summary

Originally cottages, this building was converted around 1850 by the Plymouth Brethren and was used as a chapel until about 1950. From then until 2008, it was used as a wood store by a local hardware store. Badly dilapidated, it was acquired in 2009 by the Devon Area Meeting who converted it to Quaker and community use. The meeting house opened in September 2013.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 755 699
Map Sheet:SX76NE
Admin AreaDartmoor National Park
Civil ParishAshburton
DistrictTeignbridge
Ecclesiastical ParishASHBURTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old DCC SMR Ref: SX76NE/27

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • COTTAGE NON SPECIFIC (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1750 AD? (Between))
  • BRETHREN MEETING HOUSE (XIX - 1850 AD to 1899 AD (Between))
  • FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE (XXI to Unknown - 2013 AD (Post))

Full description

Satterly, J., 1952, Memories of Ashburton in late Victorian Days, 27 (Article in Serial). SDV315139.

Plymouth Brethren Chapel in Foales' Court, North Street.

National Monuments Record, 2007, Archaeological Survey Catalogue - Ashburton, BF076663 (Report - non-specific). SDV363063.

The National Monuments Record holds an archive file on this building, including a, extensive series of 1988 National Monuments Record images of the Great Meeting House, exterior and interior.

Roethe, J., 2016, Quaker Meeting House, Ashburton Foales Court, off North Street, Ashburton (Report - Assessment). SDV359900.

(SX 75574 69951) There were early Quakers in Ashburton although historical records are sparse. A licence for a meeting house was granted at some point between 1689 and 1789. During and after the Second World War, meetings were held at Waterleaf Farm and later in private houses. The building had been converted in about 1850 by the Plymouth Brethren from two cottages and had been used as a chapel until about 1950. From then until 2008, it was used as a wood store by a local hardware store.
In 2004, a Quaker wedding in St Lawrence Chapel in Ashburton led to regular meetings in the town. In December 2009, a former Plymouth Brethren Chapel in poor condition was acquired by the Devon Area Meeting who converted it to Quaker and community use. The meeting house opened in September 2013.

Ordnance Survey, 2019, MasterMap 2019 (Cartographic). SDV362729.

This building is adjoined to the south-west by the listed Foales Cottage (MDV80831), and on the north-east side by another listed property (MDV80832); listed in 1992 as 5 Stapledon Lane, now known as 5 Foales Court.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV315139Article in Serial: Satterly, J.. 1952. Memories of Ashburton in late Victorian Days. Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 84. Unknown. 27.
SDV359900Report - Assessment: Roethe, J.. 2016. Quaker Meeting House, Ashburton Foales Court, off North Street, Ashburton. Architectural History Practice Ltd. Digital.
SDV362729Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2019. MasterMap 2019. Ordnance Survey Digital Mapping. Digital. [Mapped feature: #105880 ]

Associated Monuments

MDV80832Related to: 5 Foales Court, Stapledon Lane (Building)
MDV80831Related to: Foal's Cottage, Ashburton (Building)
MDV7872Related to: Independent Chapel, North Street, Ashburton (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events

  • EDV8554 - Building survey at the Friends Meeting House, Foales Court, Ashburton

Date Last Edited:Feb 8 2021 3:38PM