HeritageGateway - Home
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.

HER Number:MDV79402
Name:Stables, Wynards House


Stables and garage, probably a domestic house originally. Sixteenth century origins, much-altered and partly rebuilt in the late 19th century.


Grid Reference:SY 065 847
Map Sheet:SY08SE
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishEast Budleigh
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishEAST BUDLEIGH

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 86277

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • STABLE (XVI to XIX - 1501 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Ford, A., 2001, Mark Rolle. His Architectural Legacy in the Lower Otter Valley, 84 (Monograph). SDV356721.

Buildings at rear of Wynards House altered by Rolle Estate.

English Heritage, 2011, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV346128.

Stable block approximately 3 metres west of Wynards House. Stables and garage, probably a domestic house originally. Sixteenth century origins, much-altered and partly rebuilt in late 19th century. Plastered cob on stone rubble footings, patched and rebuilt with 19th century brick in places; interlocking red tile roof. Two-room plan building facing Wynards House to the north-east. The left (south-eastern) room is a stable with tack room, the right room has been converted to a garage entered from the right end. The upper floors are used as haylofts and stores. The building has been so reorganised that its original domestic layout can not be ascertained in a brief survey. Two storeys. Irregular 2-window front of late 19th century casements with glazing bars, that to ground floor right under a low brick segmental arch, and a 17th century oak 2-light casement with chamfered mullion ground floor left. (It has never been glazed). In the middle are 3 plank doors, the right one to the garage. Roof is gable-ended. The right (north-western) gable end includes a wide 20th century garage entrance and a first floor 19th century casement with glazing bars. Also here there are 2 very small and unglazed but much earlier windows set either side just above first floor level. Both are 2 lights and built of oak. The left one is 17th century with chamfered mullion and the right one is 16th century with triangular heads and cut from a single piece of oak but now the mullion has been cut through. On the rear, near this end are 2 3-light oak windows similar to those on the end, a ground floor 16th century oak window again with triangular heads and first floor 17th century window missing its mullions.
Interior: the 2 rooms are divided by a cob crosswall rising to eaves level and continued into the roofspace with timber framing. In the garage there is a half beam across the building. This is either reused or it marks the position of a demolished partition. The inner bay contains a 17th centyry axial beam, soffit-chamfered with bar-step stops. The stable beams appear to have been reused. They too are 17th century, soffit-chamfered with straight cut stops. A nineteenth century king post roof truss and one disused 16th or 17th century jointed cruck post survives.

Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV346128List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2011. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #106202 ]
SDV356721Monograph: Ford, A.. 2001. Mark Rolle. His Architectural Legacy in the Lower Otter Valley. Paperback Volume. 84.

Associated Monuments

MDV79401Related to: Wynards House (Building)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded

Date Last Edited:Jun 23 2014 10:45AM