HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV79592
Name:6 Fore Street, Seaton

Summary

Shop premises with accommodation above, early 19th century with later 19th century alterations and additions.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 244 900
Map Sheet:SY29SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSeaton
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSEATON

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 352078

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • SHOP (XIX - 1801 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Fisher, J., 1999, East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Seaton, 6, 11 (Report - non-specific). SDV346803.

There are few listed buildings in Seaton, with most to be found in Fore Street. The lower part is included in the main commercial centre, which contains a few good buildings retaining much of their original detail. Other details: Maps.


English Heritage, 2011, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV346128.

Shop premises with accommodation above. Early 19th century with later 19th century alterations and rear additions. Stuccoed stone rubble. Slate roof with gabled ends abutting adjoining buildings.
The plan is 2 rooms wide separated by an entrance passage and 3 rooms deep. The original plan probably 2 rooms with an off centre passage. The 2 rooms are now shop and the larger left hand room has an open screen at the back separating it from the slightly later rear addition. Later in the 19th century another rear extension was built making the plan a total of 3 rooms deep.
Two storeys. Symmetrical 3 window range. The second storey has three 9-pane sashes with keyblock in slightly cambered heads. First floor windows have larger 12-pane sashes, the centre window replaced in later 19th century by a wooden canted bay window; the other windows are the original sashes complete with glazing bars. Ground floor to right of centre the original round-headed doorway with semi-circular fanlight, panelled reveals, thin pilasters and ornate cast-iron brackets supporting a flat moulded canopy with a panelled soffit, and with a 6-panel door. Two late 19th century shop fronts, double fronted to left; single fronted to right; each with shallow bay windows with thin corner shafts with moulded bases and capitals supporting moulded entablatures which are obscured by later blinds.
Interior: at the rear of the left hand shop a stone screen of 2 Tuscan columns and 2 half columns, supporting elliptical arches, the centre bay is wider. Gothic fanlight in entrance passage; original panelled doors; plain stairs with stuck balusters; first floor right front room has a wooden chimneypiece with attached columns and a cast-iron grate. Date listed: 4th March 1986.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV346128List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2011. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #106395 ]
SDV346803Report - non-specific: Fisher, J.. 1999. East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Seaton. East Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 6, 11.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 10 2011 4:06PM