HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV79611
Name:The White House and Little Orchard

Summary

Pair of late 19th century houses, formerly one house known as The Cypresses. The home of the founders of Whiteway's Cider Company.

Location

Grid Reference:SY 042 975
Map Sheet:SY09NW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishWhimple
DistrictEast Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishWHIMPLE

Protected Status

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 86978

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • HOUSE (Unknown date)

Full description

Ordnance Survey, 1880-1899, First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map (Cartographic). SDV336179.

"The Cypresses" marked.


Ordnance Survey, 1904 - 1906, Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map (Cartographic). SDV325644.

"The Cypresses" marked.


Fisher, J., 1996, The Old Tanyard, Whimple (Correspondence). SDV346854.

Cypress House is referred to in a book about the history of Whiteways Cyder, which states that it adjoined the Whiteway's Cider Company's tanyard cider house. The Whiteway family moved into Cypress House in 1899.


Fisher, J., 1999, East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Whimple, 6 (Report - non-specific). SDV347093.

The bricks produced by the local brick and tile works, known to have existed in the 19th century and using clay marl from local pits, were slightly larger than average and can be seen at The White House and Thirsty Farmer Inn.


English Heritage, 2011, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV346128.

The White House and Little Orchard.
Two houses made by dividing a house known once as The Cypresses. Probably 1868, the date on the nearby boundary walls. Plastered brick; brick stacks and chimneyshafts; slate roof.
Plan: pair of houses occupying a former house. The house faces south-east. The main block has a 3-room plan. The end rooms have gable-end stacks (the left one is disused) and the centre room has an axial stack backing onto the right room. Entrance hall and main stair between centre and left rooms. Kitchen in a rear block right of centre. Possibly secondary (but still 19th century) extension on right end. White House occupies the main centre and left rooms. Little Orchard occupies the main right room and extension. Two storeys, the extension is single storey with glasshouse projecting in front.
Exterior: the main has a regular but symmetrical 4-window front of horned 4-pane sashes (a fifth in the extension to right). The main doorway (now to the White House) is left of centre and contains a part-glazed 6-panel door behind a flat-roofed timber porch with moulded entablature and slightly tapering panelled square-section posts. Stucco flat clasping pilasters each end. The roof is gable-ended.
The right end extension has an embattled parapet. Good late 19th century glasshouse in front. Shaped bargeboards on left end. To rear the stair lit by a sash with margin panes.
Interior: modernised but includes some original joinery detail. For instance the main entrance hall is tile-floored and contains an open string stick baluster stair with mahogany handrail and curtail step. Roof not inspected.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

"Little Orchard" and "The White House" marked.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV325644Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1904 - 1906. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Second Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV336179Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 1880-1899. First Edition Ordnance 25 inch map. First Edition Ordnance Survey 25 inch Map. Map (Digital).
SDV346128List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2011. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital).
SDV346854Correspondence: Fisher, J.. 1996. The Old Tanyard, Whimple. Letter to the Historic Environment Service. Letter + Digital.
SDV347093Report - non-specific: Fisher, J.. 1999. East Devon Conservation Area Appraisals: Whimple. East Devon District Council Report. A4 Stapled + Digital. 6.

Associated Monuments

MDV62743Related to: MILL in the Parish of Whimple (Monument)
MDV79610Related to: The Old Cider Barn, Whimple (Building)
MDV17612Related to: Whiteway's Cider Factory (Monument)

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Aug 24 2011 8:54AM