HeritageGateway - Home

Login  |  Register
Site Map
Text size: A A A
You are here: Home > > > > Devon & Dartmoor HER Result
Devon & Dartmoor HERPrintable version | About Devon & Dartmoor HER | Visit Devon & Dartmoor HER online...

See important guidance on the use of this record.

If you have any comments or new information about this record, please email us.


HER Number:MDV79613
Name:Palmer's Farmhouse

Summary

Late 17th century farmhouse with 18th century attached barn and 19th century additions. Possible longhouse.

Location

Grid Reference:SX 533 901
Map Sheet:SX59SW
Admin AreaDevon
Civil ParishSourton
DistrictWest Devon
Ecclesiastical ParishSOURTON

Protected Status: none recorded

Other References/Statuses

  • Old Listed Building Ref (II): 94378

Monument Type(s) and Dates

  • FARMHOUSE (XVII to XIX - 1601 AD to 1900 AD (Between))

Full description

Mason, N., 1999, File note (Un-published). SDV346856.

Possible longhouse.


English Heritage, 2011, Historic Houses Register (List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest). SDV346128.

Palmer's Farm.
Farmhouse. Circa late 17th century with 18th century attached barn and 19th century additions. Rendered stone rubble and cob walls. Wood shingle roof gabled to left end and hipped to right.
Barn extension has gable ended corrugated iron roof. Large central axial stack of rendered rubble.
Originally 2 or 3 room plan with 2 larger rooms both heated by a central axial stack with back to back fireplaces, and a small unheated service room at the left end through which the house is entered. Stairs at rear of stack probably in original position. Probably 18th century barn added at left-hand end.
Two storeys. Asymmetrical 2 window front of 20th century casements - of 2-lights and 5-lights to left and right on the 1st floor and 3-lights and 1-light on the ground floor. To the left on the ground floor is a 20th century plank door. An early 19th century outshut is built against the front wall to the right-hand side with a similar outshut at the centre on the rear elevation.
The barn attached at the left end is lower. To the right on the ground floor it retains a probably 18th century timber window with central chamfered mullion and wooden stanchion bar. Plank door to its left beyond which is 2-light 19th century timber window with square section mullion. 1st floor window to right of centre.
Interior: the central room has a fireplace with a chamfered wooden lintel which has run-out stops. The cross beams in this room are insubstantial and lightly chamfered with run-out stops. On the left side of the fireplace is a built-in original settle which has a decorative finial to its arm-rest. Between the central room and the small service room is a stud and boarded partition with a head beam which is chamfered on the side of the larger room This small farmhouse retains a number of its original simple internal features and is relatively unaltered.


Ordnance Survey, 2011, MasterMap (Cartographic). SDV346129.

Sources / Further Reading

SDV346128List of Blds of Arch or Historic Interest: English Heritage. 2011. Historic Houses Register. Historic Houses Register. Website.
SDV346129Cartographic: Ordnance Survey. 2011. MasterMap. Ordnance Survey. Map (Digital). [Mapped feature: #106416 ]
SDV346856Un-published: Mason, N.. 1999. File note. A4 Single Sheet.

Associated Monuments: none recorded

Associated Finds: none recorded

Associated Events: none recorded


Date Last Edited:Mar 11 2011 9:57AM